Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

esystems e725 laptop beeps on startup

• Please log in to reply

balboabob

balboabob

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I just reformated my computer and I still get a constant beep upon startup, hitting F2 and/or enter, eventually makes the beep go away and the boot to windows 7 begins. At that point everything works fine until a restart when it all begins again.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Thanks,
bob

Advertisements

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good evening, balboabob, welcome to GeeksToGo! :thumbsup:

Probably when does that sound, accuses some error on the screen, right?
Please tell them that this error is so we can diagnose more precisely.

You've been playing with the inside of the laptop? This occurred just when you formatted the laptop? That system was installed, which installed the system and because formatted the laptop? He was presenting a problem?

I'm waiting. Hugs. :cool:

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Djoni,
thanks for the reply.
I recieved the laptop from a friend. the beep sound starts at startup since i received it. I did not open the case. I was told that a restore migh solve the problem but it did not. there is no error message. I press F2 repeatly and finally windows 7 will boot, At that point all is well.

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
In this case, I believe there is any error message in the log viewer. Click Start, type eventvwr.msc and press enter. Click on the arrow next to the windows log and then right-click in the system.

If not ordered by date / time, click on the name Date and Time to be ordained. Look for the first day of the logs. Level, mostly shown as an information. Browse until you find on the level warning or error. Copy what is written and paste into your next reply.

On F2, the message asks you to press F2 to continue?

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Djoni,

Errors 0
Warnings 0

the F2 just says (Press F2 to start)

let me know what you think.

thanks, Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi balboabob

Not sure where Djoni Filho is so I thought I would chip in with some testing for you to do, see below;

Try removing the battery and booting up with only the AC adapter connected, what happens, remove the AC adapter, replace the battery and boot up, again let us know what happens.
If you have 2 sticks of Ram try removing the stick in slot 2 and boot up, make a note of what happens, shut down and swap the stick into slot 2, boot up and again make a note of what happens, repeat the process if you have a second stick of Ram.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

Let us know the results of the testing when done.

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
dear philpower2,

1. Ac only boot: beeps 90 seconds then stops, enter starts windows.
2. Battery only boot: same
3. Memory stick #1 2GB in slot one. slot two empty: same
4. Memory stick #1 in slot two, slot one empty: same
5. Memory sitck #2 1GB in slot one, slot two empty: same
6. Memory stick #2 in slot two, slot one empty: same.

I went to the testing website, I have a Western Digital 250GB (WD2500BEVT) harddrive, the WD site had several choices for testing and I am not certain which one to use. Please advise.

Thanks, Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thank you for your detailed but easy to follow test results :thumbsup:
Can I ask are your time and date details correct each time you boot up.
From your OP;

I just reformated my computer and I still get a constant beep

Was this happening before the format and can you please describe the beep, long, short, continuous ect, see guide @ http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp

HDD diagnostics http://support.wdc.c...2&sid=3&lang=en

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes the time and date are correct each time.
Yes, the beeping is what prompted me (advice from manufacturer)to re-format.

What confuses me the most is that once the beeping is over, the machine boots and everything works flawlessly.

I will try to run the HDD diagnostics today.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:
I also asked, please describe the beep, long, short, continuous ect, see guide @ http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp which beep code best describes yours.

Do the HDD test and reply when you can, we will be here.

Advertisements

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The beep is continuous lasting about 90 seconds, relates to power supply in the charts. I am not sure since we tried both battery and a/c adapter with the same results.

I did notice that one of my usb plugs is damaged, could this be causing the issue?

Edited by balboabob, 10 June 2012 - 08:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
1 long beep can also mean bad Ram, slot, Ram controller or other hardware so yes a bad USB port may cause it and possibly by way of causing a short, in what way is the port damaged.

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
keeping in mind that this laptop was given to me i am not sure of the exact cause, however one of the ports is missing the plastic interior... it appears to be broken off.

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ran the HDD diagnostics today and ewverthing came oup clear.

balboabob

balboabob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i am wondering if you think that i should replace the port?