Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icon Arrangement Problem

• Please log in to reply

Littleolady

Littleolady

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I can no longer arrange desktop icons in any other pattern than "align to grid". I uncheck that option, rearrange all the icons and when the computer is restarted - they all go back and "align to grid" is once again checked.

I have tried several registry edits - and programs to keep the icons in place - all to no avail. I have deleted the "IconCache.db" file and the list goes on. Nothing I have tried has worked - this problem was no doubt created by the S.M.A.R.T. Virus which has now been totally cleaned from the computer. It made a lot of changes and I have been able to restore all functions except this one. Please help.

I am running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

this problem was no doubt created by the S.M.A.R.T. Virus which has now been totally cleaned from the computer. It made a lot of changes and I have been able to restore all functions except this one. Please help.

How was it cleaned?

Just a thought but after you arrange the icons what do you do then? Do you simply reboot to have them go back the way they were before?

Littleolady

Littleolady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Answering your question as to "how was it cleaned" - I followed the steps exactly as shown on this site http://removefakeav.com/uninstall-smart-hdd/ and the computer is now clean and restored to normal. I then went in and removed previous restore points and re-set a new restore point. I have since run many scans of various types on it and it certainly appears clean.

As to your second question - after I first go in and uncheck "align to grid" I then re-arrange a few icons to see if they will hold in place - go back and make sure "align to grid" is still not checked - then reboot the computer. When it comes back on the "align to grid" is again checked and the icons are all back in line - not where I want them to be. This happens no matter what I try and as you can see from my first post, I have tried lots of things. Any suggestions ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before rebooting right click on your desktop and then click Refresh and this should write a new IconCache.db plus puts the new setting into the memory of the desktop.
Let me know if this works.

Littleolady

Littleolady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for your suggestion - but no, it did not work. Align to grid was back checked as usual.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The malware diagnostics that site recommends are surface scans only and do not do a deep scan that the programs a trained malware tech can have you run. They will supply a lot more info that has to be gone through and studied to come up with a possible set of instructions to help.

Littleolady

Littleolady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK - I understand. The problem computer is not in my possession at the moment - I tried to run OTL on it remotely - but it will not run. I don't know whether that is a "remote issue" but will be back where that computer is within a few days and will follow all the procedures you outlined.

Thank you so much for your help thus far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem. When you respond I'll get a email notification. Just put a link to this topic in your malware topic and they can see what we have done so far. :thumbsup: