Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help building my first gaming rig (NZXT phantom + rampage 4

• Please log in to reply

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Also.. I picked up my PSU today but i dont know if it works.. Is the fan supposed to spin up as soon as I plug it in and turn it on? How do I test it before setting up the system without a multimeter.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi kung lao
As colleague iammykyl is offline I will make a suggestion for you;

To start up a stand alone PSU for testing purposes, you need to short PS_ON pin to one of the common pins (pins 15 and 16).
Under normal operation, PS_ON is activated when you press and release the computer power button while it is in standby mode.
See the tutorial @ http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The mobo I have supports older coolers and a friend of mine is willing to give me his old one.

Although some older ones will fit your Mobo, it may require an additional backplate for stupor. the new i7 E processors run quite hot and if you are going to over-clock I would buy a new cooler and not use second hand. you don't want to run into over heating problems using a cooler with unknown performance. both the

noctua d14 or the corsair h80 are good choices.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks iammykyl. Even though the corsair would look better in my case and allow easier RAM installation, I picked up the Noctua because I read multiple good reviews and it was on sale for $70. I also picked up an ASUS BD-RW drive.

Now that I am out of money I want to figure out a way to use the HDDs that I already have.

I have 1 patriot 120gb pyro ssd (in laptop)
1 500 gb 5400 rpm seagate drive (in external enclosure) (edit: 2.5")
1 750 gb 7400 rpm seagate drive (in laptop)

The laptop is an asus g53-jw. I want to use the drives listed above in my new build and leave one in the laptop. The gaming rig will be my primary machine. So my question is: which two should I use in the desktop and which one in the notebook. Also, I would be grateful for a tutorial on how to use an ssd in conjunction with an hdd. Thanks.

Edited by kung lao, 06 June 2012 - 06:53 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Did the laptop came with the SSD installed? On the Web site, > http://www.asus.com/...werhouse/G53Jw/ an SSD is not listed.
Did the Laptop come with an OS disk or Recovery Disks?

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No. The laptop did not come with an ssd. I already took out the ssd. I am using the 750 gb that came with it. It only came with a driver disk, I install windows my self.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.
Install the SSD in the new build as your boot drive.
Capacity of the 2 HDDs is no that important, but the speed is.
I would leave the Laptop as is, with the faster drive. Swapping it for the slower drive would impact performance and would require a fresh install of the OS.
The slower 500GB would be OK in the new build for storage providing the case has an adapter. Unable to see from the specs if there is a dedicated SSD bay or if there is one or more adapters.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
OK!! I did as you said.. my case supports 2.5" drives. I installed the ssd, 500 gb and an old 160gb from a desktop.. I finished building the system I will try and put pictures. I have a few concerns (some quite silly)

1) do desktop mobos usually have wifi embedded?

2) my system sounds kinda noisy and I get a cpu cooler error. I checked bios and fans were about 380 rpm but cpu temp was ~28. The noise isn't terrible but i expected it to be near silent.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

and an old 160gb

What are you going to use this drive for?

1) do desktop mobos usually have wifi embedded?

No. Only selected boards

2) my system sounds kinda noisy and I get a cpu cooler error. I checked bios and fans were about 380 rpm but cpu temp was ~28. The noise isn't terrible but i expected it to be near silent.

I would also have expected you system to be quite, a jumming and whooshing of air. Can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from?
What exactly was the error message?
Did you connect the CPU fan to the CPU fan header on the Mobo? not fan1.
Please download Speed fan, > http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php install, run and post a screenshot of the results.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The noise is definitely coming from the noctua fans. I turned of all the case fans as well as the gpu. I can hear it over my music.

Posted Image

Advertisements

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm using the 160 gb for storage but i'm having doubts now.. Its really hot 50 degrees

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Ok, what about the rest of Post #24?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I'm using the 160 gb for storage but i'm having doubts now.. Its really hot 50 degrees

That is a bit warm. The 500GB should do you for storage for a good while, so I would take it out. If it will fit in the USB enclosure? see how it goes for backups.

kung lao

kung lao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
no the enclosure is 2.5.. also the 500 gb is almost full b/c it was in the enclosure before :D.. I went to the store today and couldn't decide between the rat9 and a hdd so i didn't either of them. I think I'm gonna get the hdd 1TB for $99... Any advice on my noise problem... can I take out the fans and leave the heatsink?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I have the NH-U12P on this computer connected to the CPU fan header without using either of the 2 low noise adapters.