Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maybe virus Maybe Registry? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Bob_C

Bob_C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Replying too quickly, I know. But a few things did not follow as you outlined. I'm sure some of these directions are generic since you help so many folks. But anyway, here's what I've done and how it was different:
1) Ran OTL and did the custom fix AOK
2) Combofix could not be found for removal. (Yes, I used the space after the "x", etc.) I even ran a search and it was not found. I reviewed our four pages of dialogue here and don't see that we used it in this process. So maybe it truly wasn't there.
3)Ran OTL cleanup but it didn't clean up much but itself that I could see on my desktop. A lot of exe files are still on my desktop. I'm guessing I can just trash those? The list of these are: aswMBR, AVG remover, Blue Screen zip and exe, MemTest stuff, esetmartininstaller, security check, Java zip and exe, flash uninstall

I read the articles you recommended and currently added the Firefox Script blocker thing.It's already impressive.
I have downloaded the following and may use them unless advised otherwise. I really don't want to "clog things up" with too many of these kinds of things.My current protections are: Avast Free, Windows Firewall, I go through a router, and I have MalwareBytes to run. I'd like advice on whether to add these (recommended from the article) or not, please: Norton SafeWeb Lite, SpywareBlaster, KeyScrambler.

So far, so good in terms of my computer's usage. Fingers are still crossed, but am growing more confident.

Please do answer if you would the following I mentioned
A)What to do with the exe files (I see on my desktop) I listed above
B)The ComboFix issue
C)Whether to add the applications I mentioned. I don't want things to "fight against each other"

Thank you.

Bob

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

What to do with the exe files (I see on my desktop) I listed above

Delete is fine.

The ComboFix issue

No worry as long as it is gone!

Out of that list I would only add KeyScrambler. The rest are redundant and not needed.

Bob_C

Bob_C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply and advice on those three things. I will remove these from desktop. ESET is the only thing listed in my add/remove window, so I believe it's safe to remove it from there as well.
I will check back about the eset question and then check back tomorrow some time to report on my computers condition...which as of now is GREAT.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
yes you can uninstall eset

Bob_C

Bob_C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Well, this has been a lot of fun, of course, so I hate to say it, but my system is running quite nicely :>) The only thing that is happening now is getting used to the script-blocking Firefox add-on. Parts of it I like a lot and parts of it are awkward and I have to temporarily allow parts of some sites to open up...like my bank's website for instance. Also, one newspaper site said I had an unsupported flash player version of adobe. And I know we have the latest. So, other than these minor growing pains/learning-curve of script blocking, I really am in pretty good shape.
Thank you so very much for sticking with me to resolution!!
Sincerely,
Bob

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Bob,

It was a pleasure working with you and as always Happy Computing!

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.