Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD of this & that

• Please log in to reply

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hey guys needing some help here. Been having BSOD for a few days now. Thought I had it narrowed down to Nvidia driver. Got that updated, seems to be running a little better or longer should I say. Other errors have been 0x124, 0x7F, 0xD1 but my last couple BSOD have been 0x50 and tcpip.sys

I not for sure on where & how to find the logs you guys can analyze

I am running a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop with Vista SP2 32-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 GHz
2GB Ram

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello ZUGtastic.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Below is a list of what each of your error codes mean.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

0x0000007F: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

In easy terms it means we have a lot of work ahead to find the culprit. First step is to check the memory by doing the following.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Dell Inspiron 531 desktop with Vista SP2 32-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 GHz
2GB Ram 185GB free of 288GB

Really haven't done much other than some research. I did update the Nvidia to the most recent update. I turned off auto restart so that I could get snap shots of the BSOD.

I have a 2 1G ram sticks so I will try removing one & restarting. When I do that what am I looking for? Whether it restarts or not?

I dont think I've had a 0x124 since I got the Nvidia update. My latest error was 0xA and that was right after I had my first post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the option A by removing the one stick and running with only one. If no problems then exchange the modules and try again. If still no problem then run the software test on both modules installed and then let me know if it finds anything.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ill start here first
Last night went into my device manager

view > show hidden devices > non plug & play drivers
had yellow exclamation points next to
- Kernel Mode Driver Frameworks Services
- SBRE

then had a couple more BSOD
0xFC
0x8E
restarted after each one of those

then had a 0xD1 with tcpip.sys I gave up for the night after that

SO far this morning I've had one 0x8E

I took mem stick #2 out left #1 in. Got logged in and the screen stayed black although I could move my mouse cursor. After about 5 min I shut it off. Switched them out, restarted and got logged in and everything ran fine. Switched them back out, restarted again this time everything worked fine.

Looks like I need to go get some blank disc before I can do the check so when I get that done I let you know

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
still havent gotten around to the test, it stayed running for over 24 hr no issues. So I put the side back on and put it back in the cabinet. My daughter played a game and it BSOD again & again & again, I didnt mess with it over the weekend. I just turned it back on and got a couple more. (0xD1 and nvlddmkm.sys) so I took the pc out of the cabinet and took the side back off.

How much could heat be affected this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Heat could be a big factor.
Lets see what it looks like.
You may want to run this out of the cabinet and then run it again when it is in the cabinet to get a comparison.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
ok lets try this again..........BSOD about 10 minutes after I put it back in the cabinet 0xD1, 7F, 8E

I also went into my device manager Non-Plug & played and uninstalled the SBRE which I read was Sunbelt Software and was not working properly anyway (I used Vipre at one time)

here are my speed fan results

1st one is Out of of Cabinet, side off

2nd is back in cabinet, side off

3rd is start up after a couple hours off, out & open.

Attached Thumbnails

• outofcabinet.jpg
  • incabinet.jpg
  • startup.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah you have a heating issue for sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you cleaned the inside of the case out especially on the fans. Your video card seems to be running hot also so if it has a fan on it check that one also. Do you have a can of compressed air to use?

Advertisements

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I just blew it out again. I cleaned the fan in the middle last week, was pretty packed full of dust.

Is the video card on bottom with the fan underneath? I just blew that out....taste like kool-aid :blink: looks to be running cooler.

Attached Thumbnails

• blowout.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that is the video card from what I can see.
Please do the following for me also.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.
Get a screenshot of the sensor window for me please.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
here ya go

Attached Thumbnails

• pctemp.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it looks like the video may be running a little high. Might double check that fan to be sure.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I assume your talking about this one??? Its running

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0062.jpg