Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD of this & that

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We ran chkdsk /r a couple of times to verify the findings and the log was posted to show the results. Seeing that no other hardware is showing a issue I have to say that I'm beginning to believe this is the root of the issue.

Advertisements

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I've only ran chkdsk when asked...

just an update, so far it has ran great. No BSOD in the past 24hrs. Still had instants of Flash crashing but no BSOD...made sure all my plugin were updated, still doing it. Quit using firefox for the moment and switched to Chrome. Crashed a couple more times so I Google the problem . took the advice here and so far so good.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job doing the detective work on your side.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
CompCav, what settings did we change that it wont let me compress a dump file? Pretty much telling me I don't have access

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
ZUGtastic

I think you may have misunderstood my last post.

Please, I was not suggesting YOU had run chkdsk other than when asked.

I was ASKING if CHKDSK known as autochk had run itself on boot, the message that appears is one of your disks needs to be checked for errors.

Chkdsk will now run.

To stop the check press etc., but you are advised not to.

If WINDOWS detects errors it will alutomatically set the dirty bit and checkdsk will run AUTOMATICALLY on boot.

ALSO, you may not realise, but with 8KB of bad sectors on that disk you need to

1. ENSURE your data is backed up.

2. In my opinion you need to keep a VERY close watch on those bad sectors. and ideally clone your data to another hard disk.

3. That disc may fail at anytime, no one can tell you when this will occur.

4. If a bad sector develops in the area of the disc to which is written the MFT Master File Table, Windows will NOT load and depending on the errors, you may NOT recover from it.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Good job doing the detective work on your side.

Thank you guys for all the help..... I was on the brink of buying this yesterday. We'll see how she run this week.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I generally never shut it down So I don't know.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
in post #32. How do I get that to quit coming up?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you are thinking of a new computer, then really there is with respect, little point in continuing here with further attempts to advise you, NOT of course that we are not willing to do so.

This is WHAT I was trying to explain about the Master FIle Table

If a sector that happens to contain pure data becomes corrupted, you will most likely lose that data, but little else. However, if sectors containing the MFT (Master File Table) or other crucial system files are damaged then in most cases you will no longer have a working filesystem when you mount the volume. At this point some data may still be recoverable, but you will need to use specialized data-recovery tools to get it.

I am UNCERTAIN if you have seen, the detail of my post about the bad sectors and the implications of them.

I would STRONGLY advise that you secure all important data NOW

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In order to stop the foppy drive issue you need to enter bios. Take the floppy out of the boot sequence and also find the Floppy Drive Seek setting and disable it.

Advertisements

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
If I can get this one working fine then Im good. I dont wanna spend $500. It just get fustrating. Im pretty estatic right now that it running and for more than a couple hrs.

I seen the post. I have all my important data transfered to my wife laptop.

I read it but dont really understand the whole sector thing & what to do, where to go from here. When someone like me read this all I comprehend is wait & see if your pc crash & burns.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In a nutshell the hard drive is failing.
What Mac and I have suggested is replace the drive and clone everything over to the new drive before it gets worse.
If you have all the data backed up then I would even go as far as saying Install a new hd, partition, format and install your OS fresh. Install all updates, AV, Programs and once you know everything is working right then copy the data back to the new installation.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I totally agree.

AND it is to some extent a no win situation.

By that I mean that chkdsk /r does place a strain on the drive, however slight and it may just be that repeated chkdsks could sent it over the edge.

However the risk is slight, compared with the risk of simply ignoring it.

IF another chkdsk in a few days time when you have written data to the disk, reveals an increase in bad sectors, or in a few months time, THEN is the time to immediately replace it, EVEN if you do not follow the ideal route and do so NOW.

ZUGtastic

ZUGtastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
and that's I suspected earlier when I couldnt even get it boot up and when I did I transferred my files asap....

So the periodic click from the HD is taking it grasp...

If Im going to go through the trouble of the replacing the HD, would it honestly be wise to just replace/update the whole system to a current one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So the periodic click from the HD is taking it grasp...

Ahhh the notorious click of death. Failure is imminent. :upset: