Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install XP on new system

• Please log in to reply

clarky23

clarky23

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
First, I'm new to this forum, glad to have found it.
OK...bought a new "barebones" unit. ASUS K8N mohterboard, Athlon64 +3400 CPU, 3GB RAM, (2) Maxtor 250GB HDs, ATI Radeon 256mb video, Live 5.1, DVD, and DVD-RW. System boots up fine, was able to use MaxBlast 4 to format first drive, Windows XP will start, got the SATA/RAID floppy drivers from motherboard CD, did the F6 thing, and it will shut down completely when I reinsert the Windows XP CD after upgrade verification. I"m at a loss, and new to the SATA drives. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Trying to get this system ready for home business to use on Monday. :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hmm, don't think it has any thing to do with sata sounds like you got the drivers in there and windows beginns to install.

Maybe a power supply problem, list brand and watts of the psu and the amps on the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails this info is usually listed on a decal on the side of the psu (power supply)

If the computer was freezing during the install that usually indicates a ram problem but a shutdown has me thinking psu.

Clear the cmos and load the bios defaults if you have not already done so.

Let the computer idle in bios for awhile and list your temps and voltages so we can have a look.

Rick

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
sorry for the delay in response. Thanks...it was the power supply...upgraded to 680W source and everything worked....now just need to figure out the video driver....thanks.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome,

glad you got it going

Rick