Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Printer hates 'L's and isn't 'hungry'.

• Please log in to reply

Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have an HP Officejet J4580 All-in-One printer/scanner/fax/copier that has recently been dropping the letter L and uppercase I when printing some documents. The ink is running a little low, so that my be related, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other reason it might be doing that?

Additionally, my feeder doesn't seem to be working. If I try to copy something (or fax, I assume, although I've not gotten a chance to test it much) through the feeder, it just comes out blank. To test this I drew a happy face with "Face UP" on one side of the page and a sad face with "Side Down" on the other, so SOMETHING should have been copied (i.e. not just an error with the page being upside down).

As I mentioned, the printer is a little low on ink, but I printed something this morning (missing Ls) with no problem.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hello,

Sounds more related to other problems than low ink. You could try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for it. Also check if there is a firmware update available which may resolve some issues. Lastly run through the maintenance mode, most printers have it. You should be able to choose options like "clean print head" and "alignment check" etc... Run those tests.

http://h10025.www1.h...roduct=3645100

Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay. thanks, I'll give those a try later today. thanks for the suggestions. will post updates if it is better.

Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay. I've tried some things and I'm not much further ahead (read as I think I'm worse off).

Regarding not copying: I figured out that my printer thinks its not connected to my computer (although it is physically connected and I can print and scan) and with my model it won't copy at all if not connected to a computer (doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess it could be part of HP's evil plans to have their products become unusable after a couple years so you'll just buy a new one). I also found out that this is a common problem with my printer and no one has found a complete solution yet.

I uninstalled and re-installed the program/drivers that run the printer to see if that would fix the connection problem. It didn't.

For kicks and giggles, I tried to print some text to see if I'm still having issues with 'L's. Unfortunately, My printer now seems to think that black text is too boring to print. I can print out a page with text and have everything show up as long as at least 1 character is in a different colour. Otherwise, the page runs through the printer but does not even make the 'printing' noises. I did an internet search for not printing text and a suggestion was given that the printer (ink?) cartridge was incorrectly attached. I removed and put the ink cartridge back but that didn't solve the problem either. The good news is, the printer seems to be okay with 'L's now, as long as something is in colour. The rest of the text (that should be black) prints out a blue/grey colour. Could this one just be that my ink is too low and when I add colour it prints as a 'colour' document?

I also tried printing out two pictures: one full colour, one grey scale. they both printed.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I'm not really sure at this stage. Were there any firmware updates available?

LilKirch09

LilKirch09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Samantha, did you ever figure out what the issue was and how to fix it? My HP printer is doing the EXACT same thing! Very frustrated!!!