Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Icons, Desktop, Taskbar won't appear

• Please log in to reply

dvd7e

dvd7e

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
When my laptop (Toshiba A55-S1063 Satellite, running Windows XP service pack 3) boots up, Windows starts (doesn't let me pick my user account though) and then just gets frozen with the desktop wallpaper displayed, but no Icons, no Taskbar, nothing. When I hit ctrl+alt+del, most of the time nothing happens, but everyone in a while the task manager will come up.

When I start in Safe Mode, I can pick my user account, and XP boots up just fine.

I ran a virus scan and Malaware Bytes scan and fixed the problems they found, and restarted my computer, but it didn't solve anything - still no desktop load in Normal mode. I can only get the desktop to load in Safe Mode.

Below is my Malaware Bytes and Hijack This scan logs.

Any idea on what is going on?

Thanks!

*** Malaware Bytes Log File ***

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3510
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

5/25/2012 12:32:48 PM
mbam-log-2012-05-25 (12-32-48).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 192244
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8fcdf9d9-a28b-480f-8c3d-581f119a8ab8} (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{7149e79c-dc19-4c5e-a53c-a54ddf75eee9} (Adware.MediaMotor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 May 2012 - 07:35 PM.
Removed Malware Log...not used in this forum. I am leaving the Malwarebytes results in case a malware tech wants to look at the results from it.

Advertisements

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good evening, dvd7e, welcome to GeeksToGo! :thumbsup:

Regarding malware, unfortunately I can not help it, until it is actually authorized by moderation.

In Safe Mode, click Start, type cmd and press enter. Type chkdsk /r /f and press enter. Confirm that prompted and restart your computer. Let checkdisk run and see if the problem persists in normal mode.

Persisting, go back to safe mode, click Start, type msconfig and press enter. In the services tab, check the box to hide microsoft services and uncheck everything that is not strictly necessary, such as antivirus. Do the same in the startup programs (except for the part marking item, which does not).

Click Apply, give ok and restart the computer. The problem persists?

I'm waiting. hugs :)

Edited by Djoni Filho, 25 May 2012 - 06:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here