Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

explorer.exe crashing may need XP repair help

• Please log in to reply

arizuka

arizuka

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
My explorer.exe crashing issue that I thought was malware, probably isn't because it's doing it again. The one thing I've seen in the system log that happens every time right before it crashes is the Flash Player Update runs. Of course, the Flash Player Update can also run and NOT crash it, but it is always the last thing that ran before it crashed. The other odd thing is that it started crashing again (after not crashing since I went through malware removal steps on here May 4) when I turned system restore back on. I guess it could be coincidence, but it's the only change I made

So now I'm thinking maybe I should try repairing Windows and I checked the tutorial here, but I do NOT have an XP CD. I have a recovery console/partition and have always reinstalled, reformatted by using that. So I guess my question is, should I repair my installation and how do I do it without a CD or is there some other way I can fix this issue?

Thanks for all the help so far~

Edited by arizuka, 25 May 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Advertisements

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good evening, arizuka :thumbsup:

I suggest that you print or write down the procedures below, as at certain times need to do the procedures without the use of the Internet.

Have you ever tried to get into safe mode to see if the error persists? Restart the computer and the splash screen that appears black (post), press F8 on your keyboard until you see the option to start in safe mode. Please tell us if there was problem.

If so, try to do the same procedure as safe mode, but this time choosing the command prompt. When appears, type chkdsk /r /f and press enter. Confirm everything that is asked and then restart the computer. Let checkdisck spin and see if the problem persists.

I'm waiting. Hugs. :)

Edited by Djoni Filho, 25 May 2012 - 05:40 PM.