Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connected but can't get anywhere (fixed)

• Please log in to reply

DallasStar

DallasStar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First off, I'm on dialup (yes there are still some of us out there LOL. My location sucks *shrug*) but the modem is new and works fine, it installed properly etc. The phone line has also been checked and is in working order. So those two things are not issues however I still can't get anywhere. I dial in and get connected, but when I go to access the web nothing happens, it either tries to load the page and just keeps trying without any success or I get the 'page can not be displayed' message.

I'm using Windows 7 and IE8. Things I have tried so far, was clearing out my cashe and cookies, I've restarted the comp several times, and I even did a TCP reset and I stil have the same problem. It's not only the internet Explorer browser, I've also tried with firefox and still no luck. I would hate to bring my computer in to get checked out if it's just something I'm overlooking and could fix myself. I'm clueless when it comes to computers so any and all help would b grately appreciated. :)

ETA: I fixed it, turns out all it needed was a restore. :)

Edited by DallasStar, 26 May 2012 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi DallasStar ... :wave: ..:welcome:

click on start...type in cmd...select it from the results above
in the dos box type in ...ipconfig /flushdns...press enter you should get a message that it was successful..
then type in ...ipconfig /registerdns press enter
when done type in exit..press enter and reboot

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good evening,DallasStar, Wellcome to Geeks To Go! :thumbsup:

First, the problem may be your dialer. Look for another test and see if the internet back.

If not go back, I suggest you update the driver for your dial-up modem. If you do not know where to find, let me know the model that I look for you.

I'm waiting. hugs :)

Edited by Djoni Filho, 25 May 2012 - 05:08 PM.

DallasStar

DallasStar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both for the warm welcome and for the help. :) I tried the first suggestion with the codes and that didn't work, it's still doing the same thing. As for the dialer, I have no clue where to look to find the info on the dialer in order to try to find a new driver. :( If you can let me know where to check that I can give you the info.

ETA: I fixed it, turns out all it needed was a restore. :)

Edited by DallasStar, 26 May 2012 - 06:52 PM.