Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Lag issues

• Please log in to reply

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When im at my girlfriends house for some reason using my laptop the internet gets very slow for no reason and gaming I get lag, one minute I wont be lagging and webpages will be loading very fast and a few seconds later I get really bad lag and also webpages are extremely slow to load. My girlfriends laptop and all other PC's in the house don't have these problems just mine. Also at my own house my laptop works with internet no problems at all.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Is it possible to connect your laptop using a cable for troubleshooting purposes?
If so, please connect the laptop using a cable to see if you still have lag if you use a cable.

This is so we can verify if it's the wireless connection or the internet connection itself.

Regards,
Olrik

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ive got the ethernet cable plugged into my laptop atm had in for about the past 2 hours or so, it seems a lot better and webpages seem to be loading a lot faster than normal. This shows its my wireless? so any suggestions on how to fix this?

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Also just did a speed test without the ethernet cable there. Im getting 0.203 MBPS and my girlfriend is getting 9MBPS so definatly a problem with my wireless

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Can you please give us the make and model of your laptop so that we can see if getting you a fresh driver for your wireless will help.

You can do it yourself if you wish the first thing that you will need to do is to open your device manager Type devmgmt.msc in your run box this will open device manager find your wireless device,it should be listed under network adapters, right click it then uninstall.Make sure that you check the box that I have highlighted in the shot below.

hh.JPG

Reboot your machine.

Now with your machine plugged directly into the router go to your laptops manufacturers website and download the wireless driver for your machine.Now see how your wireless performs sometimes drivers just become corrupted which I believe is the case here.

Also you can try the following.

Lets change your dns setting to a faster more secure connection.
http://www.computerh...es/ch001161.htm
Change your dns to the below.

Preferred DNs 208.67.222.222

Alternate dns 208.67.220.220

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its an Acer Aspire 7736G windows 7,

Ive got into Device manager and uninstalled my Intel ® Wifilink 5100 AGN because it seems to be the wireless one in my Network tab? but whenever I delete it and restart my computer it automatically installs it again even though im not using an Ethernet cable.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Can you please give us the make and model of your laptop so that we can see if getting you a fresh driver for your wireless will help.

Make sure that you check the box that I have highlighted in the shot below.When you uninstall in device manager.Also look for anything related to intel wireless in your add remove programs and remove it.

hh.JPG

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its an Acer Aspire 7736G Laptop,

Yeah ive done what it says in that photo, and with CC cleaner ive checked for intel wireless stuff and cant find anything to do with the intel wireless

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there,

Do you know if you have the same issues on other wireless networks?
Do you use wireless at home as well?

Regards,
Olrik

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok please try and update your wireless driver and your chipset driver with DriverMax.I am providing a screen shot to make sure that you uncheck the highlighted boxes when installing drivermax.You should always look and read everything when installing software on your machine because sometimes things like this slip by and we wonder "How did that get on there" I dont remember installing that"

http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

drivermax warning.JPG

Also please remove the tunnel Adapters on your machine. See below.

Please Disable/uncheck Ipv6

Hit start
Control Panel
NetWork & Sharing Center
Manage Network Connections
Right Click Your Connection
Select Properties
Un-Check Ipv6 (Screen Shot Provided below)
Select ok
Continue Below

mm.JPG

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session.
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Then please do the following.Open Elevated Command Prompt Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

At Command Prompt, type in the following hitting enter after each command:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

Restart computer.

Go here and run the Microsoft fix it to set your hosts files back to default.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Then finally download and run TFC.exe
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello there,

Do you know if you have the same issues on other wireless networks?
Do you use wireless at home as well?

Regards,
Olrik

At my girlfriends house i have lag and slower internet, but at my own house I dont get lag on games. I have noticed that she does have faster internet than me tho, ive checked by speed tests must be something simple I can do :/

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok please try and update your wireless driver and your chipset driver with DriverMax.I am providing a screen shot to make sure that you uncheck the highlighted boxes when installing drivermax.You should always look and read everything when installing software on your machine because sometimes things like this slip by and we wonder "How did that get on there" I dont remember installing that"

http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/

drivermax warning.JPG

Also please remove the tunnel Adapters on your machine. See below.

Please Disable/uncheck Ipv6

Hit start
Control Panel
NetWork & Sharing Center
Manage Network Connections
Right Click Your Connection
Select Properties
Un-Check Ipv6 (Screen Shot Provided below)
Select ok
Continue Below

mm.JPG

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter

2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session.
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Then please do the following.Open Elevated Command Prompt Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

At Command Prompt, type in the following hitting enter after each command:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

Restart computer.

Go here and run the Microsoft fix it to set your hosts files back to default.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Then finally download and run TFC.exe
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

Hey Ive looked through this and tried some off the stuff but I don't want to be paying for programmes and my Anti Virus is advising my not to download that program because it isn't trusted, also some of the stuff wont let me make files i need because of admistrator or something, even though I am the admin on my computer. I don't really understand whats going on tbh, is there any simpler ideas?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Drivermax is safe and free,you get two free driver updates per day.. :)
Also to enter those commands in command prompt open elevated command prompt.
http://www.sevenforu...and-prompt.html

gregoryorr30

gregoryorr30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Drivermax is safe and free,you get two free driver updates per day.. :)
Also to enter those commands in command prompt open elevated command prompt.
http://www.sevenforu...and-prompt.html

Okay great thanks :) doing my intel wifi atm and going to do chipset next :) il work my way through all these downloading... its going to take a while got 15 to do :P so you may not hear from me for a while :) but il keep you updated on how its going :) thanks to everyone thats helped so far :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok but you only get two free driver updates with drivermax per 24 hour period so just do the intel and chipset today and the other advice I gave to you.