Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my graphics card failing?

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey, I've noticed in a few weeks that some textures in my games aren't as they are supposed to be. I noticed this first in a game Rusty Hearts and then a little bit (the least in LoL) and now in COD 4 that there are like texture pieces missing or they are widely stretched out. This is seriously affecting the game and a year ago or more I didn't have any trouble with these games or others at all. I've uninstalled and reinstalled graphic drivers but nothing more. I know that my graphic card is a little bit old but it hasn't had any problems either. My PC is 3 years old.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Core Duo CPU 2.66GHz
RAM 4 GB
ATI Radeon HD 3600.

I will add 2 pictures of COD 4 so you could understand. I could get picures from LoL too if you need or Rusty Hearts which is mostly impacted by this thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• pc 2.jpg
  • Untitled.jpg

Advertisements

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good morning, rei158 :thumbsup:

As you reinstalled the drivers? He used the cd or updated via internet, direct from the manufacturer's website? Whether it was by fier video, so I tell you to download updated drivers.

If it was the site, download the GPU-Shark, install the program and take a print screen that will appear, informing the health of your video card.

Also, you can open the lid of his office (slide your hand on the inside cover, the metal to avoid problems with static), remove your video card off-board, pass it in contact with a rubber band, remove the over, wipe the contact plug, and plug it again.

I'm waiting. hugs :popcorn:

Edited by Djoni Filho, 26 May 2012 - 08:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If I may chime in with a couple of suggestions folks;

Re-install - update your DirectX http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113
Check your temps and voltages;
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here a screenshot of the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey. I downloaded the drivers from AMD site and here are the pics from the GPU Shark and Speedfan. I couldn't get to the updating part of Direct X as I couldn't find download there neither Windows Update shows anything. About removing/adding the graphics card, I have never done that, only switched once my power adapter. But could you guide me through once more, I didn't understand the rubber part.

Attached Thumbnails

• ff.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
The Speedfan result is not showing us everything so can you use HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot of the results http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html
A guide to replacing an add on video card for you to study until Djoni Filho gets back to you http://www.videocard...ideo_card.shtml

DirectX http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
The Direct X detected a newer version and so it didn't install.
Remove and then reseat the card as in the link from my post #5

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Temps and voltages are good and DirectX ruled out which leaves the drivers or the card itself.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I unplugged/plugged my graphics and swiped the contacts just in case and also cleaned its air conditioner which was very very dusty´, but the problem still persists.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Time to test the card itself http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Let us know how it goes.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
How long I'm supposed to run this? Ran this for 5-6 minutes, temps rised to 81 Celsius. But it took quite a long time to hit that far

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Give it about 20mins max.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Still the same, now reached 82 max.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Ok uninstall Furmark and run OCCT http://www.ocbase.co...ex.php/download

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Which test I should run on OCCT?
Edit: Anyway, I did the OCCT one, which didn't do anything and power supply one, which had the same results as Furmark.

Edited by rei158, 28 May 2012 - 01:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Can you try hooking your PC up to an alternative screen to see if the problem persists.
Check the condition of the PC to screen cable for signs of any damage including the end connections to see if there are any bent or missing pins.