Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer doesn't boot up.

• Please log in to reply

inferno007

inferno007

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hello! recently while I was using my computer it suddenly turned off, when I tried to switch it back on it didn't boot up. The light in the button would light up for a bit and the fan would spin but then it would just stop. There is also no beep that the computer used to play when it usually booted up.

I have a feeling that the PSU has failed but I'm not too sure. The computer is around 5 years old
specs:
Packard Bell Imedia 1559
1GB RAM
160GB hard drive
Intel pentium D processor
ATI X1650 pro graphics card.

Can anyone help me fix this? Also is it worth fixing this PC, will I be able to upgrade it to a good standard without spending too much?

Thanks you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi inferno007

Bad PSU, video card or Ram are all a possibility so I suggest an inspection and cleaning of each, how to do this safely below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Some information regarding PSUs;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.
Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Your upgrade options largely depend on your MB and in particular at the moment your video card and PSU, the ATI X1650 pro graphics card is available in both the PCI-E and AGP platform so we need to know which type your card is as you will have a lot more choice if the card is a PCI-E platform as the AGP slot type is basically a thing of the past and there are hundreds if not thousands of PCI-E cards available to choose from, even if the PSU is not bad it will more than likely need upgrading to power any new video card.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi phillpower2 I will try and clean the computer and will report back ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok I will look out for your update, good luck with it.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hey, I've cleaned up the computer and tried to run it but still the same problem :(

and the PSU details are:
FSP Group INC
Model No: FSP250-60GEN

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok lets see if we can force an error beep.
Remove the stick of Ram and then apply the power, if there is any change let us know, if there is no change replace the Ram, remove the X1650 video card and if the MB has an onboard video chip hook the screen up to that and again power up and see if there is any change, if there is no onboard video do the same without being hooked up to see if the PSU stays on.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I removed the RAM and tried to power on still nothing no change. Removed the graphics card and tried to power again still no change.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I would suggest that you now get your PSU tested before replacing it, this is a precautionary measure as it could also be the MB or CPU, the PSU is a more likely candidate as the cause though.
Can you tell me where in the world you are so I can try and suggest where to get the PSU tested/replaced.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
UK-London

Can I buy a PSU tester to test if the PSU is functioning correctly?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Your best bet would be to find a store who will test it for free (PC World etc) or as an alternative if you can borrow a known good PSU to test your system.
The only test that the average user can do is with a multimeter which does not give a true reading, the equipment a Tech uses to test a PSU simulates your PSU being put under load by the computers hardware so if it cannot meet the demand it will fail to start or shut down whichever is the greater.

One basic test that you can do yourself is to remove the PSU and short the pins out in the end power block to see if the PSU powers up and stays on, a tutorial for you @ http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html this test is only conclusive if the PSU is completely dead and does not activate at all or if it turns on but then turns off again.

An example PSU test

Advertisements

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi! I don't think my closest PC world store tests PSUs but I've found a tester online

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B004IO5CT8

Do you think that will work? With some guidance I should be able to figure out if the PSU is working or not.
If this tester isn't good can you recommend me a tester I should buy?

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I honestly would not waste your cash on something you will probably only ever use once, save your cash and use the attached tutorial.

One basic test that you can do yourself is to remove the PSU and short the pins out in the end power block to see if the PSU powers up and stays on, a tutorial for you @ http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html this test is only conclusive if the PSU is completely dead and does not activate at all or if it turns on but then turns off again.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi just wanted to ask do I short pins 15 and 16 right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
On a 24 pin block yes :thumbsup:

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hey i tried connecting it with a paperclip and switched it on but nothing happened. Im not sure if the power supply turned on as there is no external power switch on the power supply :/