Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer doesn't boot up.

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Sorry but just to be sure is this what you did;
Connected the PSU to the power lead.
Plugged it into the wall socket and switched it on.
Inserted the bent paper clip into the green and black pins 15 and 16.
Nothing happened - correct.

Advertisements

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I've tried it once more and the fan spun for a second and then stopped.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
What I did was inserted the paper clip into 15 and 16 connected the power lead and switched it on.
Fan moved and straight away stopped.

Edited by inferno007, 27 May 2012 - 08:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
This suggests that the PSU has failed as it should only switch off when you either turn it off at the wall or again insert the paper clip back into pins 15 and 16.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yeah the PSU has probably failed. Can you help me find a good replacement?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Yes no problem I will find you the best quality for the least price, local to you or free P&P.
Can you measure the present PSU and see if the dimensions are 150mm X 140mm X 86mm or very close to this.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes they are 150mm X 140mm X 85mm

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
An example for you http://www.novatech....gn=PCPartPicker
I will see if I can find a less expensive alternative from another supplier or another quality brand such as Antec or Seasonic.
If you plan on upgrading your video card or anything else please let me know so we can get the right powered PSU.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I might look to increase RAM, Hard drive and Graphics Card.
My old PSU supplied 250W right? So I guess 430W is sufficient?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Increasing the Ram will not have much of an impact on the power requirements but adding a second HDD and a video card may.
It would be best if you told us your maximum budget for everything and we then provide you with a list.
When you upgrade the Ram it is best to add matching pairs in dual channel Ram to avoid instability, your MB will take a max of 2x2GB sticks of 240 Pin DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz which will cost about £32 -34.

For now I would decide on what parts you want but only order the PSU in case any other components have been damaged when the PSU went bad.

Advertisements

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hmm I see, okay for now I only want to change the PSU preferably a PSU that is better than the current one I have.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
From my previous reply (note the bold text)

For now I would decide on what parts you want but only order the PSU in case any other components have been damaged when the PSU went bad.

If you plan ahead you will know that the PSU you have purchased will suit the planned upgrades + it can be used with other components, if however your MB or CPU has been taken out by the PSU going bad you will be stuck with Ram and a video card that you can`t use, basically a PSU is more versatile, remember to stick with a good brand and the correct output or you will find yourself back in the same position in no time.

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, I've decided that I probably will increase the RAM later on or now if the RAM also turns out to be faulty. I mainly looking at 2 gb RAM.
If this graphics card doesn't work I will want to upgrade the card to something which has around 512mb/1gb memory.
So what PSU should I look to buy?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
The one I suggested earlier will be fine with your present video card and two HDDs, I checked using a PSU calculator http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/
http://www.novatech....gn=PCPartPicker

inferno007

inferno007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Right I will look to buy that and once I've fitted it in I will update you ;)

Thanks!