Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running 12v fans off USB ports?

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I want to run 2 fans off of a USB port. The fans I have are 12v, 160mA case fans. I tried running them at 5v, and they didn't move much air at all. I read up some on a step-up converter to change the USB's 5v into 12v, but there is a drastic drop in current when using one (something like an %80 drop in amperage from 500mA.) If I were to wire 2 USB ports in parallel (thereby doubling the current to a full amp,) would there be enough current to run both fans? Or just one?

Thanks.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Why not just use and extra 12V plug from your computers power supply? Computers usually have a few extra 12V plugs.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yeah... about that...
I'ts a laptop.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If the system can actually provide the current to BOTH the usb ports and if you get a device that can make use of both (don't want to just connect the two together) and also convert the voltage, then in theory it might work, but you are going to be draining power from the laptop. The cost to properly do all of this is going to exceed other better means to run the fans.

Instead, I would suggest getting a 12v battery or adapter to run the fan and not try to extract power from the USB port.