Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Some advice on backing up and imaging my system?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
In a few months, I'm going to have a new gaming PC, with two 1.5TB hard drives, and an SSD cache. I was going to keep the two hard drives in a RAID 1 set up (mirroring,) which would protect from drive failures, but recently I started worrying about corrupted files, too. I've tried a few backup programs on my laptop, but they either can't easily image disks AND back up files, or they use so many resources, that using them on my gaming rig would kind of remove the "gaming" aspect.

I am asking: is there a backup program that can:
  • make disk images automatically
  • update files in the image via daily (or weekly) incremental backups (and in a way that won't give me 200 GB incremental file. Seriously. Two programs I tried did this: first backup was 200GB. second incremental the next week's backup was 140 GB, and I made a third the next day: another 100 GB! [A nonstop backup would be another option, as long as it's updating the image, not doing it's own thing.])
  • dump all that stuff and start over every month
  • will slow down/pause when I'm using lots of resources for other stuff

I would really appreciate your opinions on programs, so I can test them out.