Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH - NO CURSOR

• Please log in to reply

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My desktop computer wouldn't reboot by clicking "restart" - I had to shut down, or hold the power button to turn it off- then turn off the power source leading to the PC(the surge protector)-and then turn it back on for the computer to successfully boot. If I did not do this, it would stop booting at the black screen with the blinking cursor at the top. Just a blinking cursor, could not type or anything.

I was starting my computer like that for a while until today. Now I just get to a black screen. My monitor is unresponsive so I cannot see anything. My fans are on high. No beeps. I cannot boot from a working windows 7 boot disc. I cannot boot from a Ubuntu Live CD or any boot disk/USB for that matter. I re-seated the RAM but I don't think that's it(re-seating anything).
I place a CD/DVD in the drive and boot- the computer sees the disk by blinking but then nothing happens.

1. I understand that this is most likely a MBR situation (esp. because of the blinking cursor mentioned earlier) but I can't figure out how to fix it when I literally can't do anything with my computer right now. Would clearing the CMOS fix a MBR issue?

2. Once again, I see nothing when I boot. I think I answered my own question and will have to install a new HD-but please, if anyone has any ideas on how to tackle this situation, I'd greatly appreciate it.

J

Advertisements

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just reset the CMOS by removing the battery with no luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought but when in the bios did you set the boot sequence so the cd drive is the first boot device?
It doesn't sound like it is since it is going straight to the blinking cursor.
You should recieve a message that says Push any key to boot to cd.

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for your reply...

Yes, I had/have the CD rom to be first to boot, naturally.

I just tried booting from a bootable USB- nothing.

I just plugged in a new HD - and boom, it boots from the CD to install windows. HOWEVER, my mouse and keyboard weren't connected, so I connected them and they didn't work. Couldn't tab to the "Next button" or anything. So I turned the comp off, plugged in the mouse and Keyboard and now it's back to the blank black screen!
What the...!!!!

I can't believe this, please, any ideas????

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My fans are stuck on high speed for some reason. It really seems like the computer is getting stuck at the very beginning of the boot process. My second HD still is not being recognized...

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Before I go to bed, I disconnected everything (RAM, video card, HDD) and attempted to start the PC. Received no BEEPs - should I conclude that my MOBO is dead?

Can you mess up a brand new drive that easily? By simply restarting the PC after the CD loads to the first screen?

ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a faulty motherboard kb connection. Is it ps2, wireless or USB on the keyboard?
Try connecting only the keyboard and booting up to see if it will work.

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good thought- not wireless - green and purple connectors.

Tried only keyboard-nothing, just a black screen. On a side note, i tried switching graphics cards, got nowhere. Tried on board gfx only, same result. I've concluded its the motherboard since im getting no beeps when the Ram and HDD is disconnected.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe you may be correct. Any local shop you can trust to test it and not charge you a lot?
If not I could have another Tech come in and take alook at this topic and maybe add some insight into this before we say for sure.

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
haha trust indeed. Yes, I've located a shop that has good customer reviews that I plan on visiting. I'm not sure how they test the motherboard, could you summarize that process?

I've decided to build a new computer and fix this one afterwards by replacing the Mobo (if that comes back as the root problem) I'd like to test the power supply also to be honest, it's got me wondering...

Advertisements

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Also one last thing I noticed, when I attempt the boot the computer - I see the little blue led to show that my computer is ON, but then I never see the amber led light up to show that the computer is working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I see the little blue led to show that my computer is ON, but then I never see the amber led light up to show that the computer is working.

What is the amber light for like the hard drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without the system starting the only way to effectively test the power supply is to have the shop do it. It needs to be tested while under a load for the test to be precise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also do you have a budget for the new system?
What will be its main use?
Will you need a OS for it and will it be Win7? If so what version are you think and would it be a 32 or 64 bit version?
With a 64 bit version you will not have the 4 gig memory restriction like you do with the 32 bit OS version.

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Budget is a G, but I wont need a HDD, Graphics Card or OS since I have those items already. I'm using Win7 x64 since I'll have 8GB of RAM but the potential to go up to 32GB with the motherboard I have selected. (I have Win8 consumer preview and I'm testing it out currently)

Going to buy most of it off of NewEgg since their prices are pretty competitive, have a return policy, and can give me everything under 1 roof.

Here are the specs:
Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144
Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115095[code]
Video Card: Don't need yet, but I'll most likely get this one: [code]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161371[/code]
Power Supply: [code]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

I'm gonna order these today. Oh and I use this computer for everything - I like to Game - I'm a counter Strike player, and I do a lot of Video Editing, and Website building. Basically I want the fastest thing I can build for the right price that will allow me to do ANYTHING for the next 6+ years, which I think this easily will!