Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No desktop, no toolbar, just task manager.

• Please log in to reply

bumbumbuuuuuuum

bumbumbuuuuuuum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
One day my computer wouldn't turn on (just a blank, black screen) so I had to do CTRL+ALT+DEL, and click "Start Task Manager." Ever since then, my computer has been able to turn on, but the desktop and toolbar have disappeared, and all that's left is "Windows Task Manager" (behind that window is just a black screen).
Anyways, task manager is confusing and doesn't let me do certain things (I can't uninstall programs from my computer, for instance), and I'm just tired of having to use it. :( If anyone knows how to fix this or has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.
Oh, and I believe this whole problem might have been caused my malware, but I'm not sure. Are there any particular computer symptoms (besides that that I've listed) that could determine whether this is true? And if it is malware, how do I get rid of it, and reverse the effects its had on my computer?

Thanks so much for your help!

Advertisements

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
No clue if this helps but, can you go to task manager and click File > New Task and type in "explorer.exe" without the quotes?

blackscreenofdeath

blackscreenofdeath

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Another thing to try: tap F8 from the moment you turn your computer on until a screen shows boot options - one of which will say "Safe Mode". Select Safe Mode and press enter. If you are able to make it to your desk top, run some system scans for viruses or malware.
AVG Free is a decent virus scanner that you can DL for free from here:
http://free.avg.com/us-en/download
(if you don't currently have one)
For the Malware scan, try SpyBot -
http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

If booting in Safe Mode does nothing, repeat the steps by pressing F8 at start up but select "Use last know good configuration"