Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade from 7 home premuim to ultimate - keeping settings?

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
if I were to upgrade from home premuim to ultimate, would I be able to keep my settings, files, programs and applications in tact?
I have never done an upgrade like this before. I normally do a clean install or clean upgrade, so I wanted to know what will happen if I simply upgrade.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
With Windows Anytime Upgrade, you can upgrade to a more advanced edition of Windows 7 in as little as 10 minutes. That way, you get to take advantage of extra features while keeping your current programs, files, and settings intact.

http://www.microsoft...uctID.216649800

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
thing is, i have windows on a flash drive...will the anytime upgrade still work??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i have windows on a flash drive

are you booting from the flash drive

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Yes I am... I have all the versions on the flash drive... My main concern is re-installing all my programs and my applications

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
launch windows 7 then
Type Update in search box in start menu and press enter...Click on windows update...
Click on View update history in the left pane...get a screenshot of the results and post it back here

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Will do and I'm glad ur on the west coast haha

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To do an upgrade, you need to start the install from a booted Windows 7. To do this, plug in the flash drive, then open My Computer, then the flash drive and launch Startup.exe.

You will need a valid Windows 7 Ultimate key though as the one for Home Premium will not work.

I believe you can point Anytime Upgrade to the flash drive for the install as well. Not sure as I have not done that myself.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yeah i have upgraded many times and have used the flash drive i believe, more than 20 times.. my only concern was keeping my programs and applications.

when i upgrade, i normally do a clean upgrade because I am installing windows onto a new laptop or a new pc..

this time I want to basically upgrade my home premium to ultimate

was only wondering if my programs would be lost..

I have adobe cs5 and windows 2010 and I do not want to lose those programs

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
image of update history

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
update history

Attached Thumbnails

• updatehistory.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that link I gave you a few posts back said you would keep all your programs and files doing the updrade