Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Spilled tea on my laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

psychepiper

psychepiper

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everyone!

Hopefully someone can help me.

Just this morning, I spilled about 4 oz of tea on my laptop keyboard. I managed to get as much of the spill as I could and everything seemed to be working fine after that for like five minutes and then it just shut down. I have removed the battery and have it sitting oustide to dry and now I'm terrified it's gone for good.

Can anyone offer any help? How long should I let it wait, IS it fixable if I take it to someone? ANything. I know when cellphones get waterlogged youy're to put them in rice for 24 hours to dry them out. Would the same still work here?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thank-you in advance,
~Rachel

Advertisements

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good afternoon, psychepiper :thumbsup:

In the case of a lap top, it deserves greater attention. is not only expected to dry and ready. If the liquid did not burn any part of the computer (especially the motherboard), can eventually oxidize parts.

One needs a thorough cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, preferably by a technician.

Hugs :)

Edited by Djoni Filho, 28 May 2012 - 09:59 AM.

psychepiper

psychepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Djoni:

Well, the good? thing is is that it wasn't HOT tea, it was iced, so at least then heat wasn't a factor.

Well after the drying out, it appears to be working OK, apart from a sticky keyboard; I went immediately and emailed myself all my important docs in case the thing fries overnight. I do have plans to take it to a tech tomorrow to have him/her clean it with something and just check to make sure that it's OK otherwise.

It's just so scary.

Thanks again,

~Rachel

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Independent of being hot or cold. The liquid in contact with electricity can make a short circuit boards and burn them.

Take a professional who is better than you do.

Hugs.