Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I just fry my CPU?

• Please log in to reply

Krinthalas

Krinthalas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
E Machines W3400 AMD Athalon 64Bit Processor ATI Graphics card.

I first troubleshooted the long continuous beeps by taking out everything includinging the cmos battery for it to reset.
Which it did just fine. I noticed that the had drive was failing so I ran Hiren's Boot CD to diagnose it. Upon going through
this I hard and notice the fan was making noise. It and the heat sink was filthy with tar and dust. The previous owner
was a heavy smoker. I removed the fan and tried with compressed air and to brush some off of the heat sink. That didn't
work. So I thought to thoroughly clean it was to take it off of the CPU and clean the vanes. On doing so the CPU
managed to come with it. I replaced the CPU correctly or so I thought, lining up the arrows and notch in the pins. I
replaced the heatsink and fan,WITHOUT pasting it. I got everything squared away and when I turned on the computer it
didn't start up. The fans were running full blast without any video, which I had before.

To make a long to short, did I justfry the CPU? Or is there something else I've over looked. I didn't have it on more than 20 secs total. 10 seconds at first,then when I tried to make sure the CPU was seated properly. I know this is an old computer but, it has sentimental
value to the pesron that gave it to me. I was going to give it back after I had fixed it. (Her father owned and has since passed) Now I believe I've fragged it. What are my options at this point? Salvage parts? Paperweight? Thanks ahead for the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Krinthalas

E Machines W3400 AMD Athalon 64Bit Processor ATI Graphics card.
did I justfry the CPU?

Possibly, but hopefully not.
Do not do any further testing until you have applied either a thermal pad http://www.sidewinde...s.com/shpc.html or paste http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ you must thoroughly clean off the old paste first with pure or industrial alcohol.
Let us know when you have done this.