Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Audio files won't play

• Please log in to reply

Calum

Calum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a problem playing any music on my PC. I thought I had a virus so I completed a normal scan, a deeper scan, and a bootable scan (sorry, I can't remember the names of the scans) but nothing was found. I looked in Device Manager and there is no problem there. I tried to update the drivers, they are up to date. I originally thought it was an iTunes problem but I uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times. I installed WinAmp and none of my music plays there. The weird thing is, I can play digital copies of movies on iTunes and there is audio and there is sound when my computer starts up. However, I just noticed that audio won't play while I play Mahjong, I originally thought only my music was affected. My whole computer was acting really slow and funny lately but I used a program to clean my registry and everything seems to be running good other than my audio issue. I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Agrafagr

Agrafagr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
you are best!

Alias50

Alias50

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Could you specify which Operating System you are running, please? (Windows 7, XP etc.)

but I used a program to clean my registry

Unless you know what to look for, these types of programs usually do more harm than good, which is why it's not recommended, in the majority of cases, to handle registry cleanup in this way. It is possible that your audio issues have something to do with this cleanup, but diagnosing the registry is way above my pay grade at the moment. Instead, let's try a few other things.

It is odd that you have sound in some situations (itunes) and not in others. It is possible that you don't have the necessary codecs installed on your computer, or your native player isn't handling the output correctly. Let's try a player that has all of the most common codecs included natively.

Please download VLC from here.

http://www.videolan.org/index.html

After installation, try playing your audio files within VLC. Any change?