Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading the Acer Aspire AZ1620

• Please log in to reply

High_King_

High_King_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am truly honored.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded an Acer Aspire AZ1620 or similar model.

The all in one desktop.

I will list the specs below.

Operating System
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Processor & Chipset
Number of Processors Installed 1
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Type Celeron
Processor Model G530
Processor Core Dual-core (2 Core)
Processor Speed 2.40 GHz
Cache 2 MB
64-bit Processing Yes
Chipset Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Model H61 Express
Memory
Standard Memory 2 GB
Maximum Memory 8 GB
Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Memory Standard DDR3-1333/PC3-10600
Number of Total Memory Slots 2
Memory Card Reader Yes
Memory Card Supported Memory Stick
xD-Picture Card
Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC)
Secure Digital (SD) Card
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Memory Stick PRO Duo
Storage
Number of Hard Drives 1
Total Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA/300
Hard Drive RPM 7200
Optical Drive Type DVD-Writer
Optical Media Supported DVD-RAM/±R/±RW
Controllers
Controller Type Serial ATA
Display & Graphics
Screen Size 20"
Backlight Technology LED
Screen Mode WSXGA
Screen Resolution 1600 x 900
Aspect Ratio 16:9
TV Card No
Network & Communication
Ethernet Technology Gigabit Ethernet
Wi-Fi Yes
Wi-Fi Standard IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Input Devices
Keyboard Yes
Pointing Device Type Mouse
Built-in Devices
Webcam Yes
Microphone Yes
Interfaces/Ports
Total Number of USB Ports 6
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 4
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
Network (RJ-45) Yes
Audio Line In Yes
Audio Line Out Yes
Software
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Operating System Architecture 64-bit
Software Included Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel® only, with advertising. No PowerPoint® or Outlook®. Buy Office 2010 to use the full-featured software.
Bing™ Bar
Windows Live™ Essentials
Power Description
Maximum Power Supply Wattage 150 W
Physical Characteristics
Height 14.9"
Width 20.7"
Depth 2.6"

I play games such as... Diablo 3 (cough cough)... Sorry, we all know it's bad but that's a thread we can find on Blizzards forums, we can keep this one clean.
Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Skyrim, and I'd love to get a good shooter or something maybe down the road.

I want to be able to play all of these games at their highest settings with zero lag.

Money isn't a problem, I am willing to spend what I have to in order to push this little bugger to its limits.

I basically want to know if I can do a full upgrade on this thing. I want to drop a lowpro GPU in it, a new CPU, a SATA, and 8 gb of some tasty RAM. I love the style and elegance of the all in one package and it will eventually go to my Wife and kid, I am building a dream machine now but this computer is what we're kicking around till that's finished. Well, I'm kicking it around. No one will ever touch my precious. NEVER! Umm, sorry there. Got carried away.

I had a ... yeah had, wait till you get a load of this. Hahahaha Don't judge... I'm what you call... Impulsive. Yeah, that's it.

Or dumb, you be the judge.

So I had a HP DV7 (2011)

It had the i7 CPU in it, and what I thought was a low profile GPU. Turns out I was wrong. So after spending hours trying to take the thing apart after just working an 11 hour day, in the haze of the Witching Hour... (that means about 3am for those more literal types) so needless to say I broke the [bleep]i **frickin thing and all I was aiming for was taking the supposed GPU out and slapping it into the AZ1620. I was also thinking I could take the Core i7 out and put that in the AZ. Well, I figured out very quickly... about as quickly as it took to lose all the screws from my chasis. But I figured out I had not only destroyed my laptop but I wasn't going to get anything out of it. So it sits in a pile in one of my kitchen drawers... Great place for it, right? Yeah... tell me about it. This guy screams derp. So I have this chipset that I'd love to put into the AZ1620 if I am able to. I imagine that due to the size of the Acer it might be essencially a laptop with the screen flipped around, and mounted like a TV. But all the insides would remain like a Laptop, or those small micro PC's. So I am hoping my Core i7 is compatable. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

So to summerize. I want to upgrade the GPU first. I know I have to go Lowpro, but if I put a GPU in there would I have to change the power supply? If so, do you suggest any good Lowprofile power supplies? Also, I'd love to put memory in there. As for that, does it matter if it's low profile or not? Or could I use any memory chips? And lastly, are there cooling for these, low pofile liquid perhaps? I have done some research and it's very vague. I am having a hard time finding anyone that's really pushed one of these machines. But just like anything, you can make this computer better. Even if you have to change everything about it. We can use the shell.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: High_King_

As you have said AIO (all in one) computers are in essence a notebook and so you are limited to what you can upgrade.
Only the high end gaming notebooks such as Alienware and the likes have a video card that can be swapped out, three main reasons for this 1: Limited space inside the case. 2: The stock power supplies are not powerful enough. 3: Cost.

The one worthwhile upgrade option is increasing your Ram to 8GB to get the best out of Windows 7 64-bit, other than that for gaming build yourself a new gaming desktop it may turn out less expensive.