Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gonna do a fresh install. Questions

• Please log in to reply

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
So I'm gonna have to do a fresh install due to a virus of some kind. I've tried everything to get rid of it and had someone take a look with no luck.

I've read up about how to do it step by step. Got a video on how to do it downloaded on another laptop. I have all my cd's at the ready.

Is the following how I go about things after the install:

Install windows with my XP service pack 2 disc, follow my guides I have downloaded on step by step how to do this. deleting partitian and reformating.

After that's all done install my drivers cd

Download firewall and virus scanner, malaware bytes on my laptop and stick on cd. Pop this in my the pc and load on

Install my router and get the net up and running

Update windows to service pack 3. And download new driver updates from dell

Download applications in one go from ninite.com

Tweek things like my homepage and stuff

is there anything I'm forgetting guys? Any tips

Edited by Marieukxx, 29 May 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you follow through with your malware topic HERE with Gammo. Since there has only been 3 posts total I think you have to give him a chance to help you. I'm sure he will figure out how to get rid of the virus for you. Be patient in the malware forum as they are extremely busy but he will respond to you as quickly as he can.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I had a professional come to my home and look at it. He suggested a fresh install. I would like an answer to my question in this topic please.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before I can answer you I need to know a few things.
From your first post it seems everything is on separate discs. Your steps seem to be correct. I also noticed it is a Dell so have you checked for a recovery partition or did the system come with all the discs you mentioned?
Delete partition then reset up.
Format using NTFS
Install OS
Install all drivers
Install AV then go to Microsoft's Windows update site and get all updates.
Update all drivers from Manufacturers website.
Hopefully the partition deletion and setting backup will get rid of the infection.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have all the discs. When I bought it they were included.

A disc saying xp 2
A disc saying all drivers already installed on the pc
extra discs for miccrosoft works and roxio

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you are ready to go. Boot to the OS disc, delete the partition. Then Re-setup the partition, format it using NTFS and the start installation of the OS. :thumbsup:
Since the installation will be just like installing on a fresh hard drive I'm including the tutorial below.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thanks very much for your help I appreciate it. I have another topic on this but can you recommened a good free firewall and virus scanner and a safe place to download them from? I'm on my laptop at the moment and the pc is formatting. I'm gonna download the firewall to my laptop and pop it on a disc to use on the pc.

Thank you so much for helping me, I just read your guide. It is scary doing this but it's gotta be done. I feel better knowing I can pop back here for help.

Edited by Marieukxx, 30 May 2012 - 05:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Firewall works fine as long as your OS is up to date for security patches.
AV I like Avast which is free to home users and you only have to register it once a year. It updates everyday and most of the time twice a day with new virus definitions.
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

If Windows firewall is not your favorite you can try Comodo Firewall.
It is my signature below last line in Red type.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks for your help. Still formatting, I chose the one that takes longer but I wanted to be thorough.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep when there is a situation like yours it is always best to do a thorough format instead of the quick type.

Advertisements

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
ahh thanks. I really appreciate your help, I know everyone here is busy. 70% done so far. I've downloaded avast from your link.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The most important step you can make is to make sure you keep current with all Windows Updates. Especially with the SP releases since these specifically address Security issues. :thumbsup:

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Will do thanks. The computer is actually my elderly fathers. He hasn't been updating anything and when I came over the other day is when I realised it was a mess so I've been trying to sort it all out for him.

When I'm done what aps should I download from ninite? He wants firefox and I know he'll need adobe but what other stuff is needed to run smoothly? Flash Player?

Oh and is ninite a safe place to download from?

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok that part is all finished and I'm now on the stage of putting on my drivers. Is it normal for windows not to ask for the product key? Also when I boot up on the black screen it has two microsoft windows xp and says to selct which one. Is that normal after a fresh install?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Product key should be entered somewhere along the line of the installation.
As far as the dual boot issue this is strange and I would like you to do the following.

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.