Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no logon - just a new boot after 1 minute

• Please log in to reply

Dyrby

Dyrby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi
my Vista gives me a logon screen. allowed to type my password - but no reaktion on Enter or Mouse.
After 1 minute: automatic boot - and a new logon screen.

background:
I had some problems with windows update and code g00000b100 - or something like that. The cure should be to run a 'windows clean-up' - but no failure was found - and still same error code.

I therefore started a System Restore - to an 1 mounth older date
and the system replyed: OK

but after reboot, i only got a logon screen - and a boot

If I start with a boot-CD with eg Nero-backup - I can get a DOS- prompt - the problem seem to be windows ? - right?

help needed!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Dyrby ... :wave: ..:welcome:

your posting conflicting things...
like...

After 1 minute: automatic boot - and a new logon screen

and this...

i only got a logon screen - and a boot

do you mean then it rebooted on its own
to boot means to get to your desktop

we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for windows or any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...
did it ever work correctly...if so...try system restore...try several different restore points
go back at least a week before you started having problems...

can you boot into safe mode or better would be safe mode with networking

Dyrby

Dyrby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
HI there

I put my answers between your lines:

do you mean then it rebooted on its own
- yes, automaticly after 1 minute
to boot means to get to your desktop
- yes - and it gives me my logon screen again. Just where I came from....

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...
- I can't set the computer i safe-mode. If I take the power,I have the option to start in safe-mode - and alle the DLL's are being loaded (it seem to be all of them). And after a pause - I have the same logon-screen again. BUT, the is NO 'SAFE-MODE' signs in the corners (as it should be)
- all I can do is typing a password - but still no reaktion on either Enter og Click's

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
- no hardware. I tryed to run Windows Update. And I got 2 or 3 of the last updates in - but not the last 2 (now I can't see the numbers of them :( ) - becource the computer is down.
- my computer is always loaded with the last win-updates - if you ask of that....

get any updates for windows or any software just prior to the problem...
- see just abowe
what is the make and model of your computer...
- I have a ACER Aspire M5201
what are your system specs...
- ?. I can't see them right now = system down. But about 4G memory, several harddisks
did it ever work correctly...if so...try system restore...try several different restore points
- yes. I use it every night and sometime with connetion to my compagny (I work with computers- security)
- as I wrote at the beginning, I tryed to fix the problem with a system restore - and now I have problems.
And I can't do anything - exept typing my password

What I tryed also:
Under a boot, I pressed:
- F12 - All options seem be to wright
- F10 - I have the option to change input to WINLOAD.EXE it was ready to send option: /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN. I didn't change anything but tryed with Enter. No change in the result.
- F6 - check memory. I gave it the hardest option, and it had been runniing now for ca 1 hour = no errors so fare

as you see: i'm stuct

regards Dyrby

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
getting into safe mode is a timing thing...if you get to the login screen you missed and will have to retry again...
as soon as you press the power button start tapping the the F8 key once per second

Dyrby

Dyrby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I already had tryed SAFE MODE several times - with the same result:
- I can't set the computer i safe-mode. If I take the power,I have the option to start in safe-mode - and all the DLL's are being loaded (it seem to be all of them - it stops with drivers/storport.sys (if that tells anything?)). And after a pause - I have the same logon-screen again. BUT, the is NO 'SAFE-MODE' signs in the corners (as it should be)

AND I still have to enter a password - on a screen that doesn't react on Enter og Clicks

It seem to me, that the-logon-screen-modul/DLL has a failure - no matter what you do: you have to enter a password in a module that doesn't work under SAFE MODE

and I don't have a Vista CD. It was pre-loaded. Maybee it's on my preloaded E-drive? - just found out that I don't have the 'old' E-drive.
But found c:/acer/preload/autorun/gui - access denied
- and so are most of all other libraries

Any idea where (in whits DIR) to find a program to repair windows (from DOS) ?????

and as I wrote last night, after pressing F6, I tryed a total memory scan. After 2 hours it wasn't finish. This morning: - there was no change, still same problem
I also tryed (after F6) to start the computer under the last known good/working configuration: still no change

regards Dyrby

Edited by Dyrby, 31 May 2012 - 07:02 AM.

learsi_c

learsi_c

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What you may do is try to go to the Safe Mode of starting your operating system.
This may be done by restarting the PC and pressing F8 before the windows log-on screen will appear.
At first, it may be difficult as it requires timing, you just have to repeatedly try to press
F8 until such time that you'll be able to go to the Safe Mode options.

The last post is now some 15 days old.
Thank you for your contribution.
However the same recommendation has already been made
Macboatmaster

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 June 2012 - 02:43 PM.
link removed