Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Hard Disk Error

• Please log in to reply

masterray

masterray

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I have two computers that failed me at the same time. One home computer (Windows Vista 64Bit)and one work computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit).
At first I was able to open in safe mode and therefore I was able to back up all my files from both computers.
Then I was not able to even open in safe mode. I got the error "Primary Master Hard Disk Error".
I purchased a new hard drive to try and reinstall the OS and it still gives me the same error.
Sometimes it detects the hard drive and sometimes it dont. Well BIOS always detects it but when I run SeaTools sometime it doesn't detect it.
It is plugged into SATA 1 and my CD/DVD drive is in Sata 2.
When rebooting it now says:
Auto Detecting SATA1...IDE Hard Disk
Auto Detecting SATA2...ATAPI CD-ROM
SATA2 : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N NM00
Ultra DMA Mode-5
Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices ..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.
Press F1 to resume.

I am confused though because I don't know what the USB mass storage device is. I only have the HDD and the cd/dvd drive.
After pressing F1 with my Windows 7 disc in the drive, I push INSTALL NOW and choose Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and press "next" it asks me what drive I want to install windows on and there is no drive in the list. ALERT SAYS: No drives found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation.
I can click a link that says "refresh" or "Drive options (advanced)" or "Load Driver". Refresh does nothing, drive options does nothing, and Load Driver pulls up a window that has this message: To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK.
NOTE: The installation media can be a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
Then I can push the browse button, OK button, or cancel button. If I press OK a message box pops up: No Device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK.

Please Help!
Thanks

Advertisements

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good afternoon, masterray :thumbsup:

First, there was a power outage, installing programs, drivers, error problem before it happens? Some fact that has drawn attention and which may have contributed to this problem?

You know how to reset the BIOS? Take the lid of his office, his hand passes smoothly through the metal (inside) cover, to avoid problems with static, locate the bios battery (next to the CMOS chip), remove it.

Turn on the computer without it, for about 20 minutes, and then replace it. Restart the computer.

Not resolving, I believe that possible solutions would be just the manual installation of the SATA controller (driver) and testing this HD in another computer to see if the problem persists. What brand / model of your HD?

I'm waiting. Hugs :popcorn:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello masterray...

Djoni Filho is mostly correct, though I do not think you'll need to reset the CMOS.

The installation is asking for the SATA/RAID drivers for your motherboard...without them the HDD can't be accessed. I don't run into this problem much with Windows 7 as it is pretty well stocked with drivers. Is the installation DVD you are using a retail version from Microsoft, or is it a system recovery disk that came with one of the machines?

wannabe1

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello, Sir. wannabe1 :thumbsup:

edited:

Had tried to post this to clarify the reason that I asked to reset the BIOS. I figured that the HD had given problem from scratch. But nothing really is a new HD.

So there really is not because the BIOS reset. Thanks.

Edited by Djoni Filho, 31 May 2012 - 05:33 AM.

masterray

masterray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you guys very much for your time and input. Before I try any of the suggestions I just wanted to make sure it is clear that currently there is NO operating system installed on this new hard drive. I simply plugged in the new HD and put the Win7 disc in and started it up.

I have two other suggestions from another forum. PLease tell me what you think about these suggestions.
1. In the CMOS setup, change the the SATA mode for the hard drive to the opposite of its current setting (AHCI vs IDE). See if that helps.

2. There are 3 step to repair hard disk error

If you got hard disk error then there is a 94% chance that your computer has registry problems. To repair hard disk error you need to follow the steps below:

* Step 1 - Download a hard disk error repair tool,install this error repair tool.
* Step 2 - Click the Repair All Button.It will scan you pc for Free.
* Step 3 - Then click the Repair All Buton again and your done! It is very easy to repair hard disk error.

Here are the url of hard disk error repair tool:
http://www.FixErrors...sk_error-FixNow

Thanks again! I look forward to seeing your input!

Djoni Filho

Djoni Filho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
On the first step.

Yes, it can help. The windows usually comes with a driver for SATA in IDE mode. If your mode is AHCI, IDE mode may solve the problem.

BUT, in AHCI mode, advanced features are activated on the SATA, the functions that will improve performance and much of it. Regardless of the mode that is even right in the IDE sugerível is to install the updated driver.

An updated driver is update mechanisms and bug fixes.

Edited by Djoni Filho, 31 May 2012 - 05:54 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To finish answering your questions...

The disk repairing software you were recommended will do nothing for you as they are registry scanners. Without an operating system being installed, there will be no registry to scan. That said, we here at Geeks to Go do not recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are more likely to cause problems than fix them.

Changing your HDD settings in BIOS Setup may indeed help, but I still suspect that the SATA/RAID drivers may have to be installed before you will be able to install Windows. These drivers will be found on the CD that came with the motherboard...or on the Drivers and Applications disk if your machine is OEM branded like Dell, HP, etc. There will typically be a "Make Disk" option that will put the drivers on a floppy disk, a CD, or a USB storage device like a flash drive. During the installation you can "Load Drivers" by navigating to the media where the drivers are located.

masterray

masterray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there a way to "Make Disk" when there is no operating system installed yet?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No. You'll need to make the disk using another (working) machine.

masterray

masterray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so, one of my new hard drives is not being detected at all. The other when going into setup a black screen with a blue top comes up and says "WAIT..."
and it doesn't do anything after that.

Ok I tried again just restarting and now the monitor is not saying "please check signal cable" bu thte cable is fine. I remember it doing this a few days ago too.

Also sometimes when rebooting the fan starts for like 2 seconds and then everything sems to shut down for another 2-3 seconds and then is starts up again.

Now when I reboot, the screen stays black so I cant see what is going on.

I just found my original ASUS Discs that came with the PC. I have the Vista SP1 and I think the only one is some kind of recovery disc.
I tried to use both of them and still got no where.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have seen this problem before...replace the cable with either a new one or a known good cable