Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First ever build, component input wanted.

• Please log in to reply

ryanrnewberg

ryanrnewberg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As stated in title, first ever computer build. A guy from my shop is building a computer and got me interested, schooled me up a little bit, now I've got a list put together that I think would be a good set up. I'm just looking for a little input as to how this set up would perform, and if all the individual components are of good quality and worth the money. Computer would be used mainly for general use, browsing the internet, downloading movies/music, and some really light gaming maybe. Thanks =)

Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz processor (I wouldn't be over clocking)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 Rpm SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Zotac GeForce GT 520 1bg 64-bit Video Card
OCZ ModxStream Pro 600W Power Supply
G.Skill ripjaws X series 16GB(4x4gb) RAM
Asus DRW-24B1st
It'll all be going in a Rosewill Thor V2 case(I went with a large case so I'd have room to upgrade later, maybe liquid cooling or mulitple graphics cards, whatever it may be)
Oh and I was just gonna run Windows-7 64bit Premium and Komodo antivirus if it matters.

Edited by ryanrnewberg, 30 May 2012 - 06:18 AM.

Advertisements

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
well it's a bit over kill for a internet machine don't you think i suggest to get a cheaper MB that work with the processor and get a Better GPU

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
I concur with colleague todo you are not utilising your funds correctly, I will go through your list and provide you with some guidance;
Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz processor - Way over the top for what you require, the extra performance comes at a cost, an alternative http://www.amazon.co.../?tag=pcpapi-20
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler - You do not want or need this as the stock HS and fan supplied have been tested over and above normal use + there is also warranty implications if you did use it, see below;

If you use anything other than the stock heatsink and fan supplied with a PIB (Processor In a Box) you will void your 3yr CPU warranty Intel (and AMD) are clear on this;

•damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full article @ http://www.intel.com...b/CS-009862.htm
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 Rpm SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Good choice of HDD.
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard - Expensive for what you require, an alternative http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=
Zotac GeForce GT 520 1bg 64-bit Video Card - Not a very good card by todays standards, it is only 64-bit for example use money saved elsewhere to improve your video card.
OCZ ModxStream Pro 600W Power Supply - Golden rule when you build a system is not to choose a PSU until all other hardware is decided on and confirmed as available, you can then use a PSU calculator such as http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/ to help ensure you will have enough clean and stable power.
G.Skill ripjaws X series 16GB(4x4gb) RAM - Again way over the top, 8GB of Ram is the sweet spot for W7 64-bit.
Some additional guidance;
For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.
Asus DRW-24B1st - It will do what you require.
Rosewill Thor V2 case - Nice case but I am not sure if it has removable/washable dust filters which aid good cooling.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Good choice for the CPU Phillpower2, the combo deal on that page may be worth investigating further.

[quote][

Rosewill Thor V2 case - Nice case but I am not sure if it has removable/washable dust filters

/quote]
yes, "The Rosewill Thor V2 has dust filters throughout the entire front face and an easily removable filter for the PSU slot." source, > http://www.futureloo...er-case-review/

--------------

ryanrnewberg. If you can give a budget it will aid Phillpower2 in a selection of a GPU.

ryanrnewberg

ryanrnewberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I'll look into all of these options for sure. The only reason I was building above what I'll use is because my wife games some, and I wanted to make sure my set up would be good for a few years. Thanks for the help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The only reason I was building above what I'll use is because my wife games some, and I wanted to make sure my set up would be good for a few years.

excellent reason, similar to the one I used to get a 6 meter Tinny instead of a 4 meter one.

A budget would still be helpful. and are the high end games?