Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Electric Stoms and Hardware

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
When I know a thunderstorm is imminent, I always unplug my tower and modem. However, I have heard that this doesn't always protect sensitive electronics as they can still be affected by the EMP of lightning even if they aren't connected to a wall outlet. Is this true?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have some experience with this first hand. Lightning struck a tree in my backyard a few years ago. It took out a number of electronics in my house. Communication equipment was hardest hit. Pretty much anything connected to a phone line or ethernet cable had to be replaced. When dial-up was more common, we always saw a lot of reports of dead modems after thunderstorms.

Just doing a little research online now, it seems the electronics have to be fairly close, about 150 feet. It also doesn't appear there's a lot you can do to protect from it. Consumer electronics are just not protected against emp, and most surge protectors and uninterruptable power supplies won't help. The good news is it's not as likely to take out your hard drive or CPU as it is your ethernet card or router. I'd say the damage I experienced was pretty typical. An inconvenience, but not devastating.

Still a good idea to unplug them.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Okay....thanks for the info on EMPs.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you put the items in a Faraday cage, then you can protect it, but that is not all that practical, specially depending on the size of the items.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Faraday_cage