Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hacktool.Rootkit and Trojan.Gen.2 Removal [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi damascus404,
Glad to hear that your computer is good :cool:

Now for the best part of the day! Congratulations, your logs appear to be clean! :thumbsup:
Let's do a little cleanup and then concentrate on keeping your computer safe in the future.

Please click on Start > Run and paste in to the run box the following bolded text: ComboFix /Uninstall then click ok

Please re-run OTL one more time and click on the CleanUp button. This will remove all of the tools we have used, including OTL itself.

Make sure your computer is current with it's Windows updates.
Are your Automatic Updates enabled? They should be!
  • Click Start,
  • Click Control Panel.
  • Click Automatic Updates (XP) - or System and Security (Vista, 7)
  • Choose Automatic (recommended) (XP). or Turn automatic updating on or off (Vista, 7)
  • Choose a time when your computer will be turned on
  • Click OK

It is very important to keep your Java and Adobe Reader updated as these are prime targets of exploits these days. I use JavaRa to help keep Java current, but you can also go to Java.com and check for the latest updates. The adobe reader can be updated manually by going to Adobe.com

Please make sure you have an Anti-Virus product installed (Important to use only ONE A-V and make sure it is updated at all times). I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials, but I also recommend Avira, or Avast.

Windows Firewall: If you don't use a third party firewall, please make sure that you have the Windows Firewall up and running, without a firewall your computer is vulnerable.
Windows 7/Vista
Windows XP

Using an on-demand malware scanner is a great idea, and MalwareBytes is the best one to use. I try to scan with mine at least once every two weeks: Malware Bytes

A FREE program that will help you to stay clean:
SpywareBlaster - Prevent the installation of spyware

A good verified backup is SUPER critical to keeping your sanity, and this is a good article to read. If any of your files are important to you, you need to back them up. I can't stress this enough, all hard drives will eventually die!

And finally please give these two articles on getting infected and staying clean a read,
So how did I get infected in the first place?
How to prevent Malware

Good luck and stay safe out there!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.