Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mouse and keyboard

• Please log in to reply

barlette

barlette

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am new to this site.....I have Dell Demension 3000, operating system is XP. I have 80gig hard drive and 1 ram. My problem is I just reformatted because my mouse and keyboard would freeze after a few minutes of use, now it's still doing the same thing. What could be causing this problem, any help would be appreciated.

Edited by barlette, 31 May 2012 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

ron_cron

ron_cron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Seems like a rather drastic measure to take because your mouse and keyboard were freezing. Need some info.

Do you have an installation disk ?

Did you try checking other things before you reformatted ?

Are the keyboard and mouse USB ?

What type of virus software do you use ?

Edited by ron_cron, 31 May 2012 - 05:43 PM.

barlette

barlette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi ...yes I have an installation disk, the mouse and keyboard are not USB and I'm using AVG....since posting this my power supply has burnt out...could this have been causing the problem? I have ordered one should arrive in couple weeks. I am using my laptop for now. Thank you for any help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: barlette
Yes a failing PSU can cause all sorts of unusual behavior from your PC, see explanation below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

barlette

barlette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your reply, I'm hoping everything is ok when I replace the PSU....fingers crossed :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thanks for the update, good luck and let us know how it goes.