Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 15r CPU Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

supergirlnano

supergirlnano

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. So my laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 15r M5010 won't boot. It just beeps 7 times, which according to the manual the problem is Processor Fail. I've read on the Dell Support site that I need to reseat the CPU. So I was wondering if I can upgrade the CPU while I'm at it. It currently has an AMD Athlon II Dual Core P320 Processor. I want to upgrade it to a AMD Phenom II Triple Core N870 Processor, if it is possible. But I've also read that I have to update the bios of the motherboard before I install a new CPU. My laptop is 2 years old and out of warranty.

http://www.cpu-world...320SGR22GM.html

http://www.cpu-world...870DCR32GM.html

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
:welcome: supergirlnano
If the CPU can be upgraded the present BIOS would have to be upgraded first so that on first boot the new BIOS would recognise the new CPU, basically you need a working notebook to be able to upgrade.

Can you hear the CPU fan working when you power up?
Try removing and then reseating the Ram stick/s, if you have two sticks do one at a time first in slot 1 and then in slot 2 repeat the procedure with the second stick and let us know the results.

supergirlnano

supergirlnano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yup, it's definately processor fail. I understand that when I reseat the CPU I have to clean off the thermal paste and I was wondering if I have to do the same with the GPU? Thanks a lot for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,778 posts
Not good news regarding the CPU failure :(
if you have removed a heatsink and paste from the GPU then yes after a thorough clean-up fresh thermal paste
must be applied to prevent overheating.

You are welcome BTW