Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Windows 8 comes with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, but it sure feels and looks that way.

defender-about.png

Windows Defender runs very silently (unless there's a detection), no system tray icon or notifications of updates. To view Windows Defender, or run a scan go to the Start screen, type Windows Defender, and the Settings filter.

You cannot uninstall Windows Defender, but if you install another anti-virus program Windows Defender will disable itself. Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and Release Preview will allow Microsoft Security Essentials to be installed. If you've installed Microsoft Security Essentials, uninstall it now.

More info on the improvements to Windows Defender: http://blogs.msdn.co...om-malware.aspx

Advertisements

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Haven't tried win 8 yet.Currenty I am reading all the reviews and articles I can get on it.Thanks for the share.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm running Win8 with Avast with no problems. It still updates at least twice a day and I am very happy with it. The other 3 computers running in my house use Win7 and XP with MSE installed.
I haven't been this excited waiting for Win8 since XP was released. Win7 took some time for me to warm up to but now with a triple boot setup I have XP, Win7 and Win8 all running flawlessly with XP.
I think short of the Metro and having to use a 3rd party like ViStart to get the old start button in Win8 I think it will be a great OS but there will always be those who keep the blinders on to the Metro being a pain in the tail side and won't go to Win8.
Windows Defender though good I have never been a fan of it. :thumbsup:

SarasMusic

SarasMusic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the great info on Windows Defender! It was really useful. I really like Windows Defender. I haven't had to use McAfee in years. It's one thing I think Microsoft got very right.

I have been researching Windows 8 all week! I really hope that Windows 8 allows me to set up some of my users (aka mom, dad, lil sis) so they can't run executables if the program wasn't installed behind a elevated, protected directory. If they did that I won't have to worry about them installing an executable they downloaded from someones email. It blows my mind how many times they open the executables attached to emails. Arrr...so frustrating!

- Sara

------------------------------

Eyilo

Eyilo

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
Running Windows 8 Pro right now. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
As far as I can tell. Windows Defender === Microsoft Security Essentials. The interface is identical.

ChiliTech

ChiliTech

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I love MSE. have not had any problems with adware etc since its beta days. Looks like this new Windows Defender is just MSE renamed, though they won't say so because they will be accused of bundling and get sued again, like with IE some years back. But I'm fine with it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I'm running Win8 with Avast with no problems. It still updates at least twice a day and I am very happy with it. :thumbsup:

Ron? Daft question alert! Did you have to disable Windows Defender on your Win8 when you installed Avast? I haven't had the pleasure, nor the time, to really check out Win8, just heresay for what little I do know (which is nothing).

Donna

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry DonnaB I missed this post completely. Yes I disabled Defender to run Avast and no issues yet. In fact yesterday Avast updated 3 times for some reason but I have not had any problems with it on my Win8 partition.
I just disabled the lock screen on Win8 so I have one less step to login now and honestly other then the start button issue I mentioned before I find Win8 very secure and easy to use.

ash004

ash004

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
yap, actually at first we got this problem at work too, this create a Kind of conflicts in the system of windows 8 but its good to know :thumbsup:

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Knowing from previous versions of Windows,Windows Defender gets disabled when you have another ant-virus program,after it's set to manual in services.I have Windows 8 Pro with Norton 360 Premier Edition 2013.Microsoft says Defender is better then previous versions but i do not think it's better then most commercial ones,maybe good enough for ones who do not want to purchase a commercial one since comes with operating system.

kungfu

kungfu

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Pity. I disabled Windows Defender in my home computer and trying to use MSE instead. :huh:

Edited by kungfu, 21 October 2013 - 11:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
MSE won't install on Windows 8 since Defender is already there.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Windows 8 is a good OS. The Metro interface is the major hurdle most people have to adjust to or overcome. I chose the overcome route and installed Start8 to give me a Windows 7 like Start menu. I also boot directly to the Desktop and never even look at the Metro desktop or apps. Works very well for me.

I have not upgraded to 8.1. I'll wait and see what 8.2 in April of this year has to offer and if not interesting them wait on Windows 9 in 2015.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I saw that.

I wrote a small thread on HF advising users to not use MSE after reading 2-3 articles about it, want me to share it here in this post or ... ?