Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8

• Please log in to reply

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I have used Windows built-in "Defender" since I started with Windows 8 and I have no problems ..

Runs fine, catches problems like most other Antivirus programs do, and is always Free with NO pop up advertising (like some others).

Combines well with MBAM and never slows down my systems -

Spelling Edit -

Edited by noknojon, 09 July 2015 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

It doesn't really work. Kind of having a big trouble in your PC. VPN could make you safe. Try it out!

?? Sorry but he reply is a bit confusing, is this to me or generally speaking, since I have no problems with Defender as it is ...

It caught an infection several weeks ago, and disposed of it as I requested. There has been no problem since . It works great for me .

Are you trying to sell me another version of protection, as I feel that it is not required .??

Alonzo Spears

Alonzo Spears

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I HAVE WINDOWS 8.1 OPERATING SYSTEM.  DOES THIS MEAN THAT USING McAfee OR OTHER SECURITY IS REALLY NOT NEEDED?  I NEED TO KNOW SO I KNOW WHETHER OR NOT TO RENEW.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Alonzo Spears,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

In Windows 8, Microsoft upgraded\redesigned Windows Defender into an antivirus program comparable to Microsoft Security Essentials and uses the same virus definition updates. As a result, Microsoft Security Essentials is not compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 10.

If you prefer to use McAfee, or some other security program, by all means, please do. By default, upon installation the "built in" Windows Defender will\should be disabled to prevent conflict, though it is wise to always double check and if needed disable Windows Defender in W8/8.1/10 to be sure.

Donna :)

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Nothing Beats Windows Defender, and if you really want to go deep security, Eset is the best i know for sure.