Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive won't boot - blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Geoff_W

Geoff_W

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,
I just picked up a new hard drive for my Gateway ZX4800 - one that Gateway said would work with my computer - and I can't get it to boot. I can do an install to the hard drive just fine, but when it comes to booting from the drive I just get a flashing cursor. Any thoughts on what I can try or any more info you need for thoughts? Looking in the Bios, the new hard drive is listed and not the old, not sure if that info help.
Thanks a tremendous amount,
Geoff

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That computer uses SATA hard drives (SATA 3 is what it ships with). Do you have both drives in the computer or just the new one?

I'd recommend removing the original drive if it's still there then connect the new drive to SATA port 0 then do a clean install, formatting during the install process.

When that completes it should boot okay. Once it does, then if you want you can connect the old drive to one of the other SATA ports. Once you do this, go into Disk Management and make sure the okd drive is not marked Active.

Geoff_W

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. I just have the new drive right now - I only see one SATA port for this all-in-one. I've got the new drive connected and am using the recovery discs that Gateway sent. When the recovery management screen comes up it makes me select a full factory restore. It goes through those motions and says it installs correctly, but won't boot up properly afterwards.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Almost sounds like the Gateway Recovery Disc is defective. Have you used it before.

You can try downloading the same version you had on the computer from here: Download Windows 7 ISO (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links)

Make sure you get the same as you had, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and X86 (32 bit) or X64 (64 bit).
Burn the iso to a DVD using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest speed available). Boot the DVD and do a Clean Install, see here: How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7

You won't get all the additional software you would with the Gateway Recovery DVD but you will get a cleaner install and a faster machine.

If that works then you can contact Gateway and tell them your Recovery DVD is defective and to send you a new one. Whether you use it or not is up to you. Me, I'd keep the clean Win 7 install.

Geoff_W

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Great, thanks for the files. Unfortunately my backup laptop is a Mac and that burner doesn't seem to work for Macs, would you have a suggestion for it?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I know nothing about Macs, sorry. I would use what ever the Mac provides and burn at the slowest speed possible, then give it a try. Otherwise, perhaps a friend could do it for you.

Geoff_W

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for all your help, found out how to use it with a default Mac tool and will be giving it a try shortly.
Tis greatly appreciated.

Geoff_W

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
One final question for you! The reinstall worked but now I'm no longer able to access wireless networks and when I look at my network settings it no longer shows a wireless adapter. I tried to reinstall the Wireless LAN driver from the Gateway website but none are working for me. Any thoughts?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What does Device Manager look like, any entries with yellow marks.

I see 3 Wireless drivers for the ZX4800:

GatewayZX4800WLan.jpg

Are these the ones you tried?

Is the Wireless switch turned on? Maybe it uses a Fn+Fx key to control the wireless.

Edit: You should also try the Chipset driver from there.