Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen on start up.

• Please log in to reply

CardDeath

CardDeath

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone!

I tend to build PC's a lot and don't usually bump into any trouble however today while building my friends pc I hit and issue. Everything is plugged in the right place and all the fans are spinning however there the screen is black. I tried fiddling with the speaker component to hear the beeps to trouble shoot the issue however when I removed it the cable was loose so perhaps thats why there was no beeps?

Anyway its a completely new rig apart from the graphics card, HDD and disk drive.

The components are:
Processor - Intel core i7 3770, 3.4Ghz
Motherboard - Asus PBH61-MLE/USB3
Ram - 1333 DDR 3 ram 2x4GB
Power supply - 850 Watt standard power supply

I checked these components before he ordered them and it seemed to be compatible. I doubled checked the processor with the motherboard today on the asus website and it said was so im rather confused.

My thinking is that is could be the ram is faulty or the processor isnt actually compatible.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Card

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: CardDeath

Have you tried removing the add on video card and used the MBs integrated video?
Having checked the CPU is good for the MB as are certain brands and spec of DDR3 1333 Ram, try a single stick of Ram in slot 1 if no joy remove it and do the same with the second stick and see how that goes, again if no joy see below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

The MB specs http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

CardDeath

CardDeath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your reply I will give all these a try and see how I get on!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome and good luck.