Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Comp Doesnt POST! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Lifter0569

Lifter0569

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First off this system build includes:

Foxconn Socket 939 NVIDIA NForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
Athlon 64 3000+ processor
ASPIRE X-Dreamer II Steel ATX Mid-Tower
2 GB of dual channel Geil Memory (2x1GB)
Samsung Black IDE DVD burner

(The rest is irrelevant to my problem)

Okay, heres the deal. I put this computer together as a first build and once i got it all done (i used a grounding bracelet) i plug in the computer all the lights light up and fans are roaring (every one of them, vid card, cpu fan, p/s, every one of em) but after the boot nothing at all happens. There is not one beep indicated POST was performed and there is no visual display on my monitor (switched out monitors, same thing) from there i wonder if POST really wasnt doing anything so i took out all my memory (looking for the 3 beeps) and still nothing. I am getting no processing of any kind nor POST or anything, all i am getting is power. Do you think this is my motherboard? my cpu? perhaps my p/s despite the fans/lights?? I would really appreciate this as I am pressed for time in my RMA's and need to isolate the problems without creating new ones!! Thank you so much! I am desperate!!!

EDIT: Also, my DVD burner powers up only WITHOUT THE IDE CABLE attached. When I plug in the IDE Cable the drive no longer responds to my command, perhaps a BIOS/CMOS config? or jumpers..?

I have not booted this computer up one time. Never booted. Thanks

Edited by Lifter0569, 04 June 2005 - 12:05 AM.

Advertisements

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Tsh tsh tsh did you forget to plug in the atx 12v plug to that mother board. Make sure then go back and make sure everything is plugged into where it goes, but it sounds like you forgot that plug. It is usually a 4 pin plug that comes out of Power supply and is plugged into the upper part of the mother board, depends on the board im not familiar with you but that sounds like that case. :tazz:

PS: I JUST NOTICED THE MOTHERBOARD BOOK I WAS REFERRING TO WAS YOUR ACTUAL MOTHER BOARD SO JUST PLUG THE 4-pin atx12v plug in that is explained on the page 2-25 in your nforce motherboard booklet.

Tell me if it works!!

Edited by scrushmaster, 04 June 2005 - 12:29 AM.

Lifter0569

Lifter0569

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh, believe me I plugged that thing in, otherwise my window fan/light wouldnt work :tazz: .... I did plug that in. Do you think my motherboard is fried?

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well make sure you got a harddrive hooked up to the ide cables and power, so u can boot to more then cmos and also the rom is most likely working properly, so leave the [bleep] ide cable plugging into the rom man.

Lifter0569

Lifter0569

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How would I be able to boot to another device if my computer is not going through POST, there is no beeps at all indicating it will not boot to anything. Does this mean i have some (from the sound of things) particularly faulty hardware?

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
well man i would just make sure u got everything plugged in correctly especially that [bleep] 12vatx because that would cause such a problem but that is all i can really say at that point because i cant be there to tear through the mass of cords, but i would guess ur fine and its something small you overlooked. It always happends to me. :tazz:

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
disconnect everything from the mobo leave in cpu take out ram boot it if it still dont post it is going to be ur mobo.....

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Check this guide then post back with any questions

Rick

Sillysod

Sillysod

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
That EXACT problem happend to me when i bought my new m/b, i just overlooked the atx 12v cable :tazz:
I was looking for the problem for like 2 Hrs lol

Edited by Sillysod, 05 June 2005 - 05:36 AM.