Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Works Then Won't POST Hours Later

• Please log in to reply

SisypheanTask

SisypheanTask

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I recently ordered parts and built a computer for my parents. I've built 5 other computers before this with minimal issue. These are the specs.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+
RAM: AMD Entertainment Edition 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous
HDD: Western Digital 320GB SATA 6.0Gb/s

It worked for a couple of hours and I left to return home. I received a call about 4 hours after I left with the report that my dad had returned to the computer and it was mysteriously off. I thought it was in sleep mode, but he restarted it before he called me so I'll never know.

The computer beeps once ('normal' POST indicator for this MOBO), displays the Gigabyte splash screen and freezes. It will not move forward to POST and none of the shortcut keys work (del, home, tab, F12, etc.) I am under the impression that the computer requires a BIOS update. I have had problems with Gigabyte MOBOs before that were solved that way. Unfortunately, I can't load Q-Flash or the BIOS menu because of the freeze. I attempted a hard reset by reseating the CMOS battery to no avail.

I have not performed a step-by-step check of all the parts (remove all but the CPU, add RAM, add Video Card, etc) because I would have to walk my dad through it over the phone. I did, however follow this list and nothing helped.

Any thoughts?

Edited by SisypheanTask, 03 June 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi SisypheanTask

The first thing that I suggest is swapping in a known good PSU or if one is not available have the present one tested.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V etc it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.
Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Also please note the questionable reputation of that brand of PSU http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and http://forum.pcmech....de-inside.html#

I did not see the Ram on the MBs QVL, please see below;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

The MBs QVL to check for Ram and CPU compatibility http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3908#ov

SisypheanTask

SisypheanTask

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Phillpower2, thank you for your quick response.

The QVL for the CPU leads me back to my original idea about the BIOS being out of date as the CPU is only supported by version F6 or newer.

I will grab different RAM and another PSU to test although I don't put too much stock in the "accepted PSU" list only due to personal experience. I have built other computers with Rosewill PSUs that have had no issues for 4 years and counting. Perhaps I have been lucky until now.

I won't be back in touch here until the weekend at the earliest, but I will be sure to post my findings at the earliest convenient time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update SisypheanTask

Having read some (but not all) of the reviews for your particular PSU at the Newegg feedback tab many users were happy with their purchase, this PSU may be one of an expected % of early failures and this happens with every brand.

An additional thought, what type of keyboard is being used, wired or wireless?

We will look out for your update when you are ready :thumbsup:

SisypheanTask

SisypheanTask

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
PhillPower2,

The problem is solved. I think that the keyboard (Dell PS/2 connection) may not have been recognized 100% of the time, which you seem to have surmised if your prior question was any indication. I returned home, plugged in my personal USB keyboard, and booted the computer up to see the problem for myself. There was no problem for me and the computer booted normally. I updated the BIOS and set it to halt booting on "All except keyboard" so this doesn't happen again for that reason. I am typing this using the original PS/2 keyboard right now and we have ordered a better quality USB keyboard anyway.

Thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thank you for the update, I am pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved :thumbsup:
Yep many people will read your solution and wonder how a keyboard can cause such problems so to explain a little, the keyboard is checked as part of the POST process so if it has issues the POST fails and the system will not boot.

SisypheanTask

SisypheanTask

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It turns out that the keyboard was not the problem!

Thinking I had solved the issue, I set up my parent's computer the way it was before, all peripherals included. They have a FireLite SmartDisk USB external hard drive that is the problem. If the hard drive is plugged in when the computer is off and then you turn it on, the computer will freeze at either the splash or the POST screen (I have since disabled the splash screen because it is unnecessary). If you plug the hard drive in while the computer is already on, you can use it with no problems. However, if you unplug the working hard drive, the computer takes it as a signal to run the Win 7 shut down script and the computer shuts down as though the user had intentionally input that command.

I went into the BIOS and disabled Legacy USB External Hard Drive support (separate from the peripheral Legacy USB support: i.e. keyboard, mouse, etc.)

The computer now boots and shuts down properly.

Thank you again for your time.

Edited by SisypheanTask, 10 June 2012 - 04:17 PM.