Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD with while connecting AOL (bad_pool_header)

• Please log in to reply

..::ccheck0218::..

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi everyone,
i know there's a topic about this on this forum, but mine is a little different and i have been trying to fix it for days now.

i use Aol 9.6, windows 7 OS and a lenovo g550 laptop,

the problem started like this. whenever i try to open the Aol software i get a BSOD(Bad_pool_Header) so i followed some instructions i saw on this forum and changed the location of the conflicting .sys files in my acs directory i.e ATWPKT2.SYS after that it started working fine until i restarted the computer.

now Aol software opens just fine but whenever i try to sign-in to my profile. i get a BSOD(Bad_pool_Header) again. so this is the confusing part tried chkdsk, scanned with my antivirus, done driver verifier, even change the location of some files that i suspected.. still the same thing

i attached the last few minidump

i will be glad if i get reply on this

thanks all...

Attached Files

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anyone with idea on what to do?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Completely uninstall anything AOL related from your computer. Reboot, then download and install the latest available. See if that resolves the problem.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hello ztruker

thank you so much for your response.. i have tried that too i unistalled and reinstall aol still the same problem.. but it was the same version of aol i reinstalled though..

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All the dumps are the same and indicate ATWPKT2.SYS is the failing module.

I found this as a possible work around: http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__1741452

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hello ztruker,

i want to so much thank you for your help so far concerning this problem i'm dealing with.. i want to tell you that the thread has been really helpful and the computer now works fine without any problem.

what i did:
i just renamed the ATWPKT2.SYS in the system folder to ATWPKT2.OLD and its been fine since then... prior to this time i only renamed the ATWPKT2.SYS in the aol folder

Advise to anyone having bsod while using AOL Software:

there are two system file that conflicts when using aol software. i think it gets downloaded with updates; the file names are ATWPKT2.SYS and atwpkt264.sys you have them in C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\acs folder and in C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder just change the extension of the files from .sys to .old or change there location. you have 4 files altogether this stops Aol Connectivity Service and i believe your computer should be okay..

thanks again ztruker, thanks geektogo.com forum

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what exactly do you have AOL installed for...

MartinSmith

MartinSmith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I solved my Blue Screen ( AOL) by uninstalling Adobe Flash Player. Then downloading "Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X".