Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore Factory Settings on Windows Vista Toshiba

• Please log in to reply

Sarge_309

Sarge_309

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, this is my first post so I'm sorry if things don't make sense or if I don't have much of an idea of what I'm talking about because truth be told I don't have much of an idea at all.

I took on the task of resetting my mother-in-law's laptop to factory settings and when none of the previous posts I've viewed have helped I thought I'd post and get some direct help for the actual laptop I'm using.

The model of the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100, it's Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 and running a 32-bit OS. There was a previous post bout Toshiba's where you hold the 0 (zero) button and power on the laptop and then tap the same button repeatedly when the Toshiba logo appears and stop once the laptop makes a sound or the logo disappears and it should take you to the HDD Recovery System but that never worked for me.

So please, if someone could help and guide me in how to restore the laptop to factory settings then that would be great! All the files on the computer have been saved so there is no hassle over losing data.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sarge_309...

Try the instructions HERE and see if you have any better luck. I think you were probably letting off the 0 key too early.

wannabe1

Sarge_309

Sarge_309

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so I tried that multiple times, even tried holding it down the whole time things are happening on screen, but it only ever takes me to either Windows Boot Manager or another section where I can choose how I would like to boot my laptop or what system utilities I'd like to use, out of which I chose System Recovery but nothing there fits the description of what's on the link you shared...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are a couple of other possible key presses used on some of the A100 series machines. If you are unable to access the recovery partition using them, you might have to purchase a recovery cd.

Start the machine and at the logo screen press F1. If that brings no joy, restart and press F8 at the logo screen.

Sarge_309

Sarge_309

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah none of those commands worked. How much are recovery CDs normally? and would you just get them from the manufacturers website?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The recovery disk is free from Toshiba. However, shipping is $29.95 for the cd or $39.95 for a USB stick. I guess it must be a very heavy USB stick... :whistling:

You can order the media HERE. Take a look at the "Free Recovery Options" in the first paragraph...no harm in trying one more time. (Or click the link I just gave you.)

Sarge_309

Sarge_309

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
None of the free recovery options worked unfortunately... guess I'll just have to order a recovery disk. Thanks heaps for all your help!