Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my Ram operating at the right Mhz and Timings

• Please log in to reply

bobbydoogle

bobbydoogle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Pardon my question, as I'm sure its obvious for those who know. I just upgraded from 6GB of memory to 16GB of memory of the following type:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

It works fine (computer boots), when I run Speccy however I get the following as the recognized memory:
16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 795Mhz (11-11-11-28).

At first I thought this was running at half the speed it should be. Then I read some postings about doubling the actual speed to get the effective Mhz as rated. I was further confused when I read on newegg that the stated RAMs timings are 9-9-9-24-2N, as you can see from the Speccy posting it appears to be running at 11-11-11-28.

Is my Ram running at 1600Mhz? Is my timing less than optimal? I don't want to leave allot of speed on the table, if it is a simple matter of adjusting settings in the bios (all my current timing settings are set to auto, I checked before installing the RAM). I'm not interested in overclocking the memory, I just want to get the rated amount, and my motherboard claims to support 1600Mhz+.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Rest of the overview specs are as follows:

Summary
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 72 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 795MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
EVGA 132-BL-E758 (Socket 423) 58 °C
Graphics
Hanns.G HG281ð„ (1920x1200@59Hz)
1280MB GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 37 °C
Hard Drives
313GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
977GB Seagate ST31000333AS ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device (SATA) 26 °C
1954GB Western Digital WDC WD2001FASS-00W2B0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Edited by bobbydoogle, 04 June 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It is correct,. DDR stands for Double Date Rate, so the figure is doubled. In your case, 795 doubled = 1595 = close enough.

Most of not all chipsets and/or programs actually report the correct speed anyway which tends to fluctuate anyway. Even a lot of boards with their own sensors don't report this correctly.

Wih regards to RAM timings, you are literally talking about nanoseconds here, but in Auto mode tends to be the safest option. If the figures are too low, you'll have all kinds of other issues.

I wouldn't worry about it.

bobbydoogle

bobbydoogle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks allot, a response to my specific settings really makes the situation clear. Glad to have joined this forum!