Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't disable wireless adapter for "repair"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jackmccarron

jackmccarron

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Having problems with wireless connection to wifi hotspot. Selecting "repair" option in wireless connections gives this message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Disabling the wireless network adapter. Make sure the network adapter is properly installed."

Also, in my Network connections, if I right click on ANY of my adapters and select "Disable", I get the message:

"It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug and Play, or may have been initiated by another user or the system account.."

The wireless adapter worked fine until a few days ago. It still works sometimes, I just can't do the "repair" when it doesn't work.

This seems to be a problem will ALL my network adapters. I have NO networks connected other than the single wireless one.

Using WinXP pro, ver 2002, sp3 on Toshiba laptop, 2GHz.

Ideas on how to fix this???

Thanks, Jack

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi jackmccarron ... :wave: ..:welcome:...
did you try system restore yet...if not do so now...go back at least a week prior to having the issue...
nojoy...
can you post a screenshot of the network connections in the control panel...
same for the device manager...
how to here...

jackmccarron

jackmccarron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Happyrock - Here's some screenshots:

Hopefully this will help you figure out my problem.

I have not as yet tried doing a sys repair to an earlier date, but I have installed a couple programs lately - so it's a definite possiblity that it could help. I'd rather not do the sys repair if you can see something else that mite fix it.

Thanks,
Jack

Attached Thumbnails

• wifiRepair1.jpg
  • wifiRepair2.jpg
  • wifiRepari3.jpg
  • wifiRepair4.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it shows your wireless is connected and you don't have a cable connected to either of your Ethernet plugs...
to test your Ethernet adapters plug in a cable to your computer and router or modem and see if you can get online...
can your right click on the wireless icon in the system tray and get a screenshot for us

jackmccarron

jackmccarron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey HappyRock - I tired doing a sys restore back to about 3 weeks ago. It didn't help the problem ("repair" still got stuck at disabling the wireless adapter). So the return the system to "now", I did an "undo" of the sys restore.

The problem vanished!! The "repair" sequence now runs normally. Weird!

Thanks for your suggestion to do the sys restore. It worked, but not in the way expected.

Keep up the good work.

Jack

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not sure how that would work but you can't argue with success...
and your welcome... :thumbsup: