Only side-effect is that the licence lost it's activation and my PC lost it's ability to connect to the internet meaning I could not get my Windows re-activated. I then tried to update the PC to SP3 to see if that helped and discovered my CD drive no longer worked *gross sobbing* so had to use a USB CD drive to update. That was all fine and I was using a command line/code via Run in Safe Mode every month to restart the 30-day activation period.
Today it popped up saying I had one day left to activate and as usual I was going to do the Safe Mode route except I accidentally hit Yes to activation, which made my screen just hang at the desktop background and my cursor. I restarted the PC to boot into Safe Mode and after putting the command line/code in and restarting I got the following error message at login:
"A problem has prevented Windows from accurately checking the status of the licence for this computer. To proceed your copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft"
I then went back into F8 and hit Last Known Good Configuration and that worked, letting me get in and saving all essential files to an external HDD. I then rebooted into Safe Mode to restart the activation period again seeing as I only had one day left and went back to square one with the same error message as above. Even going into Last Known Good Configuration doesn't work anymore.
Also when I restarted the PC after saving all my stuff, a message came up as the PC was logging out of my profile. It said something about not being able to write something to a volume 2 on the HDD - not sure if that means something about my external HDD that I used to save everything on (which is fine). It also Blue Screened on me twice after that; once when I tried Last Known Good Configuration again and trying to get into Safe Mode.
I have emailed the family friend who fixed it last time but I was wondering if a new set of brains could help. Is it retrievable or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new PC (which I cannot do as I am unemployed).