Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows activation problems - not letting me into my desktop

• Please log in to reply

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I moved it to one of the other USB ports on the front and it appears to be working - no error message as mentioned in my last edit and it says it is currently installing devices. Not sure if it was the moving that worked as I found the cable going into the external CD drive wasn't all the way into the back.

If all goes well it should be finished with the set-up in 37 minutes.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,044 posts
Ok and I hope it all goes well for you.

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well, doesn't appear to have fixed anything. After it finished it's set-up and rebooted it went to the login window and came up with the message saying I had to activate before logging in. I hit yes, it came up with the Welcome bit and then went back to the login page again :( It does the same if I hit no.

Edited by Anyer, 16 June 2012 - 09:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,044 posts

Well, doesn't appear to have fixed anything

Not so as you have repaired a damaged operating system, a repair installation will not make the product activation problem go away, only a full format and fresh install or as suggested previously contacting Microsoft will do that http://support.micro....com/contactus/

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did contact Microsoft to activate it over the phone but they wouldn't go any further unless I had the code that comes up with the Activation Window, which I cannot access. So I would hazard a guess a fresh install would be my next step.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,044 posts

I did contact Microsoft to activate it over the phone but they wouldn't go any further unless I had the code that comes up with the Activation Window, which I cannot access. So I would hazard a guess a fresh install would be my next step.

Do you mean the 25 digit product key that is on the case sticker that you mentioned you have earlier, that is the only code that I am aware of that is required.

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
As seen in this screenshot example - http://i.imgur.com/y8OgT.jpg - there is an installation ID that you must give the person on the phone. It also requires you to enter a code that they then give you afterwards into the activation window to complete the activation. As I have not been able to get said window to open when I had access to my normal desktop I cannot activate over the phone.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,044 posts
Lets see if you can get the information or connect to the internet using Puppy Linux, got what you mean now about the other code, it is a built in Microsoft ID number.

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

Note: Some images may vary as can be seen below;

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Where would I find the installation ID on my HDD? And would I be able to bring up the activation window in Puppy Linx to be able to enter the final code they will give me? That's the main issue I am having - even with the installation code it won't be any use if I cannot get onto my desktop.

Will give this a go and get back to you.

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry I haven't responded in ages, I've been really busy and haven't been able to work on my PC. I just sat down to go through the second part of that post (i.e. using the Linux CD I have burned) only to discover my mouse doesn't work! For some reason now when I get to the Welcome screen it freezes for about 30secs-minute then comes up with the usual Activation message, but I cannot click out of it because my mouse will not move. I did try using another mouse but it's red LED light isn't glowing so I am guessing this means the PC doesn't register it's software, or my USB ports are no longer working.

edit: I have also just tried my keyboard (by hitting F8 to get into the Boot option list) and I get nothing. The only thing I can think of is that the wireless receiver that is plugged into a USB port (my keyboard and mouse are wireless) wasn't plugged in when I started the PC, and maybe the repair I did knocked out the software for them and now no longer registers them. That and I accidentally put in the wrong CD when I first tried to boot from it (it was a Memtest one) and so exited it whilst the test was running, in case that may have caused any issues.

Edited by Anyer, 01 July 2012 - 06:13 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,044 posts
No worries we all have other commitments.

Have you tried replacing the batteries in the mouse/keyboard or re-setting the devices by pressing the reset button on each device, if no joy try a wired PS2 type keyboard and mouse if you can.

Anyer

Anyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Again sorry for the length in replying to you. I managed to borrow a USB keyboard from a family friend in case I couldn't get the wireless ones to work. Well I have tried both (wirless keyboard & mouse and the separate USB keyboard and USB mouse) and the weirdest thing is happening.

When I use the wireless ones, I can use the keyboard it appears but not the mouse. When I use the USB keyboard and mouse, they both light up (green LED on keyboard, red LED under the mouse) but when the Windows screen appears with the loading bar both of their lights go off. When it gets to the Welcome screen (which is still freezing and taking a minute or two before popping up that activation message), only the keyboard light returns. It looks like for whatever reason the PC isn't liking the mouse(s), but is okay with the keyboard.

So I am unable to do anything still.