Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Open Programs in Safe Mode ('Open With' virus).....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....well, in Safari there wasn't ever any initialization/prompt to download and, as I've said, still getting hung up into perpetuity with Firefox unless I attempt to close the window, which results in the problem prompt coming up every time.....with 18.64 GBs, that would mean I'd need to burn 27 disks by my calculations - although my friend made me aware of a compression device for MP3 files which allows for about 4 times the number of songs on a single disk......could that be utilized in this instance as well? Haven't downloaded it yet for the aforementioned reasons concerning capacity.....

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

..could that be utilized in this instance as well?

Yes

Once SP3 completes please try the download again and let me know. There are several internet related upgrades in SP3 that should improve the internet experience.

although my friend made me aware of a compression device for MP3 files which allows for about 4 times the number of songs on a single disk...

Does the friend have a computer with XP on it?
Do they have an XP Home install disk?
Do they have a DVD writer on their machine or even better an external DVD writer?

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....he's in Turkey at present as a civilian Army employee, so I don't know when he could do much of anything.....a problem has arisen: computer completely froze up on me and couldn't shake it loose; much as I was loathe to do it with the SP3 download happening, had to do a cold shutdown:( Did try to resume it; indicated as much but no window has appeared since the restart.....a command window opened up - empty but tied to the 32.dll driver if the filepath was any indication.....

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
How are you communicating with me if computer is frozen?

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Had to restart cold, as I said - it just wouldn't free up and Task Manager wouldn't work.....is there somewhere I can resume the SP3 install, or do I have to remove what I've got and start all over again? Will I get another prompt to do so?

.....just accessed Event Viewer; here's messages from attempt to install SP# and subsequent interruption:

'Warning: Printer Driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- %4.

Error: The MCSTRM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.'

.....oh, wait a minute - repeated attempts to raise the installation window resulted in a message that the updates HAVE been downloaded and automatically installed at 3 tomorrow morning (?)

Edited by ogam5, 17 June 2012 - 07:39 PM.

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Update: SP3 is now installed; need to address my brake situation right now but am still checking out sizes of both MS Security Suite (and which I'm probably going to opt for over, given the aforementioned girth of) Avast! Also going to run CCleaner as it appears there's a lot of junk which needs to be disgarded and re-install SuperAntiMalware as discussed - if I still have a problem downloading after all that, will notify you.....again, thanks for all your continued assistance, CompCav:) Jim

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....STILL can't download - tried to do so with SuperAntiSpyware, and it appears both JavaScript and likely Flash aren't working either.....please let me know ASAP what can be done about rectifying the situation with all three.....thanks again

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Create a New User with Administrator Rights

Click Start >> Control Panel >> User Accounts
In the Pick a Task... select Create a new account
In Name the new account type in a name you will want to use if we have to delete the old account later, then click Next
In Pick an account type select Computer administrator and then Create Account

Then once it is created reboot and go into the new account and try to download.

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....actually, I already HAVE an Administrator option in place so let me try that first before creating a 3rd.....thanks, CC - any thoughts on what's blocking the downloading and saving though?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

CC - any thoughts on what's blocking the downloading and saving though?

Just a small klitch in the settings for the internet possibly but this creating a new account came from an internet expert here.

Advertisements

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Wellllll.....just officially installed what I presume to be SP 3 - NOT a good thing in that it apparently ate up almost TWO gigabytes and, before deleting a hefty desktop file of favorite songs, I was down to less than ONE.....if this is accurate and there wasn't any redundancy in my attempts, I'm just APPALLED; I really don't understand how MS thinks people with SO few desktop resources can POSSIBLY carry so much in the way of updates AND their gargantuan programs otherwise - needless to say, I simply do NOT have any choice now but to forego any other antiviral aside from Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.....again, haven't been able to find work in 3 and a half years and I'm destitute, trying to keep my sanity and not end up on the street before long - NOT your problem I fully realize, but it IS mine and leaves me little I can do to upgrade/improve upon much of anything soon.....the attempt to go in through my other account failed; STILL hanging up when trying to download/save and again, there's GOT to be something blocking every attempt to do so - copied & pasted a Mozilla troubleshooting link but won't have much of a chance to review that until tonight.....one more note about my capacity: Firefox is over 100MBs but my hatred of IE has lasted for a very long time - suspect what I've got is merely vestigial at present and its size as indicated may be extremely misleading.....bottom line: I've got NOTHING more that's expendable except for the Rhapsody downloading program; NOT gonna uninstall iTunes or OpenOffice (and I really CAN'T believe for one second that the MS Office Suite is smaller than the latter.....) please continue to assist me in restoring saving/downloading capability and I'll then be on my way.....again, I DO appreciate all your efforts but this experience has been nonetheless INCREDIBLY demoralizing for me given my circumstances:( Jim

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I am consulting with an internet expert. Please be patient. If you have a program to burn CD's and can burn some of your MP3's onto them to make space it would help. You could copy them off and then delete them from the hard drive to make more space.

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Expert said to create a new account as instructed in post #83.

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....it seems to me that, as I've consistently had problems saving/downloading on all 3 browsers (Firefox, IE7, Safari) the issue may lie with some sort of settings native to my Desktop - as I said in my last posting, got NOWHERE with the alternative Test account previously created some time ago - same result. Is it unreasonable to suspect that something in the early actions changed them somehow? As for burning MP3s, they're all on the E drive and the amount of work required - for I'm presuming the express purpose of adding MORE resource-eating programs - just is not an option; SP3 was IT for now.....is it worth my trying to run ComboFix now that SP3 has been fully installed? I've got a sneaking suspicion that all the MS-related stuff is presently taking up over HALF of my C drive, which is just ridiculous.....

Edited by ogam5, 19 June 2012 - 06:53 AM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

as I said in my last posting, got NOWHERE with the alternative Test account previously created some time ago - same result.

I understand the the current user account has Administrative privileges, but the thought is that the user account may be having issues.We're all just looking to find a way to get this machine to do what you need it to do, so please do try creating a new account with Administrative privileges and see if it improves the download issue.