Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Open Programs in Safe Mode ('Open With' virus).....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
All right - I'll try - but how, precisely, does one trigger the prompt to create a new account anyhow? Been quite some time I did so - and are they easily deleted?

Edited by ogam5, 19 June 2012 - 07:03 AM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Yes they are easy to delete and we will do that if we need to.

Click Start >> Control Panel >> User Accounts
In the Pick a Task... select Create a new account
In Name the new account type in a name you will want to use if we have to delete the old account later, then click Next
In Pick an account type select Computer administrator and then Create Account

Then once it is created reboot and go into the new account and try to download.

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....as expected, same thing occurred with the new account.....again, strongly believe the problem is related to a settings matter. I'm no expert on computer concerns, but it seems to me that there's only 2 possible reasons why I'm getting hung up from every browser and every location/account: either there's a problem with RAM, or as is more likely, something's missing/reset and the computer is waiting for it to to become accessible. Is it possible a certain key driver is gone as a result of all those earlier removal operations? I'm gonna try to do research today as time permits and ask that you sound out the person you've been dialoguing with, see if my logic seems feasible.....

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Will do :thumbsup:

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Another question, we ran several tools (RogueKiller, exehelper, and an OTL fix). Do you remember after which step we did that you noticed the downloading had stopped?

Step 2.

Next we need to collect some more data on the issue.

Open FireFox and try to download, when it does not work please take a screenshot and post it here.

Open Internet Explorer and try to download, take a screenshot here and post it as well.

Here are the steps to taking a screenshot and posting it:

To do a screenshot please click your Print Screen button on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
My instincts tell me it was after exehelper but I just can't be sure; so much confusion going on around then.....did capture the page in question after attempting to download and have file on Desktop, but - just as I feared would be the case - exact same problem occurred with even attempting to browse, let alone attach:( Is there any way of my copying & pasting it in this reply space directly? Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but last activity note read: 'transferring data from s02.mdn.net'.....

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Please try to go into safemode with networking and test for downloading and uploading.

1.Restart your computer.
2.When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3.Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
4.Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Will attempt - it's how I usually access SafeMode - and see what happens.....

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks......and good luck :thumbsup:

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....no luck, unfortunately - one development of possible interest/significance though: when the 'Open With' window came up, clicked on Firefox and a subsequent window noting a problem with add-ons followed it, focusing upon the microsoft.NET.assistant again.....can you check to see if that has a direct bearing on being able to save/attach/upload/download? Restoring it then resulted in an actual Firefox window opening, but it wouldn't fully resolve on 2 attempts without freezing up.....

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Did you try Internet Explorer?

Please try it as well in safemode with networking.

Then while you are still in safemode with networking please run Combofix and post the log in your next reply as well, if it asks you to update please say yes.

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
If Combofix will not run in safemode with networking please rename it combofix.com and run it that way.

ogam5

ogam5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
.....ComboFix isn't on the Desktop in SafeMode - can you provide another direct download/run link for it first? I'll see what happens after that.....

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Here is the link

But you may not be able to download it so just use search to find it on your computer and make a copy of it and paste it to your desktop in safe mode with networking.

Click Start >> search(just above run on the menu)
Click All files and folders then Type in the name ComboFix
Then press Search

When you find it right click it and select copy
Then go back to your desktop and right click in an open spot and then click paste.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi ogam5,

I am excited to let you know that one of our experts will be taking over helping you with this internet issue. His screen name is RKinner.

@ RKinner, thank you for jumping in to help ogam5.

Regards,

CompCav