Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

white screen of frustration

• Please log in to reply

jaredlanny

jaredlanny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi.

I am using a dell inspiron 1720. an older machine, but with windows 7. the other day i got the "blue screen of death" I don't know that i had this happen before, but it said "if this is the first time, restart your computer ..." i restarted my computer, and upon restart my computer went straight to a white screen. I restarted, but it didn't take any time (less than a second) to shut down, just straight to white. i pulled my battery and unplugged it, put it back together and it did the same thing: straight to white screen (less than a second) when i push the power button and straight to black when i push it again.

I pulled my power plug, battery again, and held down the power button for 60 seconds. still no change.

while i am in the market for a new computer, I'd really hate to lose what i have on this one: is there anything i can do to save the computer, or at very least the information on it without taking it to a professional and spending all sorts of money on a computer i don't intend to use much longer?

oh, and there is no noise of anything working inside, it's like only the screen is doing anything, and that is only turning white.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
:welcome: jaredlanny

Was the system previously working ok running W7 or has this started after installing W7?
When if ever was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust?
As the notebook is quiet it is possible that the CPU fan has failed and is causing overheating, this can happen if the fan is clogged and prevented from turning.
Properly cleaning out a laptop should only be undertaken by a competent person or an owner who is confident in their own ability, see the guide @ http://www.insidemyl...ro-1700-laptop/

If you undertake the task yourself you will need a can of compressed air such as http://www.shoplet.c...FALDPSXL12/spdv

I suggest that you do the cleaning and then check that the CPU fan is working correctly before you do anything else, you can remove the HDD and use an external USB HDD enclosure or adapter to back up your data if you need it now.

Cautionary notes; If you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted and make sure the power cord is disconnected before you start.

NB: Be sure that you remove the Ram stick/s and blow out the slots when you do the cleaning and then reseat the Ram securely when done.