Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build, Boot errors POST OK

• Please log in to reply

Zackn06

Zackn06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:help::hello: Just put together a new PC in my old Case from a long time ago. First off, here's the specs
Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5
CPU : Intel I5 3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
GPU: ATI Radeon 6870
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) (9-9-9-24)
HDD: 360GB Seagate SATA i believe
PSU : Thermaltake TR2 600w (I know not a very good PSU, but i bought it last minute at BB)
Optical: HP DVD/RW

So, today i finally got everything in, cleaned & Cleared my old case, did an out-of-case boot and everything went perfect.
Installed everything except GPU into case and got ready. POST looks good, no error codes and Dr.Debug Shows no errors. I go to boot setup and select DVD/RW Drive because I'm doing a clean install(Yes i have Boot CD in) and hit enter. I get This message :
" Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media"

So i go into BIOS and change boot order to HDD, Same thing. I even tryed changing the Type from ICHI, to IDE & RAID for sh*ts & Giggles, but still the same thing.
I'm thinking, Bad HDD? Nope, i hooked it up to an old tower i had laying around and everything looked good. Again, i switched out the brand new DVD/RW Combo drive for another and still same thing. I even tryed going into the 3GBs sata inputs on motherboard and same thing. I even switched out the new SATA Cables for old ones, and still the same thing.

Also, in the BIOS, both the DVD/RW Drive and the HDD are detected.

Any help would be appreciated, Although I'm not with my PC atm, I'm thinking it might be a jumper setting? Or maybe theres a master SATA Input?

By the way, i'm not quite sure if this is the right category, If it it isn't, I'm terribly sorry.

Thanks in advance,
Zack

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Zack, Posted Image

Simplest question first.
When you make changes in the BIOS are you going, >Save and Exist? not just exist.

Try these 2 for the optical drive. SATA2 Connectors (SATA2_2_3, Black)

Using SATA / SATA2 / SATA3 HDDs with NCQ function
STEP 1: Set Up UEFI.
A. Enter UEFI SETUP UTILITY Advanced screen Storage Confi guration.
B. Set the option “SATA Mode Selection” to [AHCI] for SATA2_2 to SATA2_5 and
SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 ports.
Set the option “ASMedia SATA3 Mode” to [AHCI] for SATA3_A0 and SATA2_A1
ports

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Just to reiterate what iammykyl has said;
Is the boot sequence set to DVD drive first and the HDD second.
What type of OS (operating system) disk are you trying to install,