Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop freezing up, strange pixels and buzzing.

• Please log in to reply

mmfw10

mmfw10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yesterday our desktop was working fine, I turned it off and left the house and when I came back and turned it on it froze after like a minute. I reset it.. Got to the desktop screen and it froze again but there was this buzzing sound coming from it. It done this 2 more times before i left it for 10 minutes and tried again, then it worked and didn't have another issue.

Now this morning it's freezing up again, this time there is no buzzing though. I turn it on, and about 15-20 seconds after being on the desktop it freezes. When it freezes the lazer light on the mouse goes out like it's not plugged in. Also a few times when it has frozen this morning there has been weird coloured pixels appearing across the top of the screen (this does not happen every time though). I've tried leaving it and turning it back on etc but it seems like it's not going to help this time.

I did have an issue with over heating 2 months ago but we cleaned off the dust from the inside and have opened the side of the case to help the air go through it and have not had any issues with it since doing this.

If anyone could help with what this might be that would be great.

*EDIT*
I can start the computer in safe mode and it doesn't freeze up. I'm not sure if this helps to work out what is causing the issue or not but thought it might be worth noting.

Also it just now did the buzzing sounds as soon as I hit the power button

Edited by mmfw10, 07 June 2012 - 07:13 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Possible causes include a bad PSU (power supply unit) and a bad add on video card or chip, the latter may also include the device drivers, once we have the requested details it will give us more to go on.