Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Photo editing monster- need help!

• Please log in to reply

walterwalrus

walterwalrus

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Guys!

I am building a photo editing computer, used for heavy editing( I am a professional Wedding photographer). I am upgrading from a previous build,
And would love to get your feedback and tips.

I need it to be fast, and have many slots for hard drives+ usb3 connection for card reader and more drives(I go through many HDD's quickly for backup and redundancy reasons)

anyway, I'm lookin at getting the Coolermaster HAF 932 as the case,
a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 Mobo

Since this Rig is for my job, I'm looking for it to be "future proof" for at least a few years.

I'm looking at getting this proccessor Intel Core i7-3930K but wonder if there is merit in getting the more advanced 3960.(I use Lightroom and photoshop heavily)

What kind of PSU do I need? any recomendations regarding graphics card, memory or the build in general?

I would like to get high end stuff, so right now im open to any(logical) budget.

I have a monitor, mouse, HDD's, one Vertex 128 SSD and high end cooling fan for the processor- so I don't need any of that.

Thanks so much for your help!
Walter

CURIOSITY .jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Walter. Posted Image

Is your software part of a package as here, > http://www.adobe.com...ying-guide.html?
About what percentage of your work would be video? Can you list the codecs for stills and video.
Please list the cameras you use.
In which country would you be purchasing your parts?

walterwalrus

walterwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey!
Thanks a lot for the quick response!

My camera is the 5d mark ii which generates huge files.
I have all the software, none needed.
Not sure about codecs. I dont plan on doing heavy video editing, though it would be nice to have the option.
All will be purchased in Israel.

Thanks for your help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Walter.
I apologize for the lack of response, been a bit busy organizing a trip to the UK for my Mothers 90th birthday, but I am configuring your build.

AS the price of HDDs is currently so high, Please list the brand/model/number of drives you can bring to the new build?
What CPU cooler to you have?
Will the computer be in an air conditions environment?

Although you have said "logical budget" a top $us would be appreciated to stop us going overboard.

Links for parts will be on Newegg.

walterwalrus

walterwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Iammykyl!

Your help is greatly appreciated.Good luck with that party!

So far, what Im thinking of getting is
Coolermaster Haf 932 as the case
Intel i7-3930K as the proccessor
MOBO- I switched to
Asus P9X79 Pro

I dont need new HDDS. HDD Drives I already have are 3 1TB Caviar Black By WD. and more 1TB Caviar Greens.
OS is sitting on an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

I am building a photo editing computer, used for heavy editing( I am a professional Wedding photographer). I am upgrading from a previous build,
And would love to get your feedback and tips. I use mostly Lightroom and Photoshop cs5

I need it to be fast, and have many slots for hard drives+ usb3 connection for card reader and more drives(I go through many HDD's quickly for backup and redundancy reasons)

What PSU should I get? Graphics Card?

I'm looking to spend up to 2000-2400 USD on these new parts.

My current CPU Colling fan is Freezer 13 pro

Thanks for your input!

Edited by walterwalrus, 10 June 2012 - 05:32 AM.

walterwalrus

walterwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oh, and one more thing, What Memory should I get? I would like to reach at least 16GB

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi,

I'm not a tech expert, but i have a couple pointers.

I would like to reach at least 16GB

What version of Windows will you be using? To exceed 16GB of ram you need Windows professional or higher. Complete list can be found here. You should aim for 1600mhz memory, but i'm sure iammykyl will pick out a good set for you :)

Secondly, i have the 3930k myself and i'm very pleased with the performance. I haven't really strained it yet, but there's a lot of power in it. If you are uncertain about it let me just give it a thumbs up. If you're willing to overclock it has even more potential.

Since you live in such a warm climate i would suggest a case with good airflow and enough space for additional fans.

Edited by Jakob1406, 10 June 2012 - 06:17 AM.

walterwalrus

walterwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your input Jakob,

Im using windows 7 enterprise x64. but even now it seems my comp isn't utilization all 8GB of memory...

Good to hear about the chip, I really know nothing about overclocking, so I probably wont be doing any of that..

Jakob1406

Jakob1406

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

I really know nothing about overclocking

Me neither....Luckily my asus motherboard does, so it's all good :) That being said i really don't need to overclock it at this time, but it's good to have the option in a couple of years when i need the extra juice.

Oh and as for the RAM. What speeds you can get depends on the processor, so the 3930k will support up to 1600mhz. That being said it will still run higher speed rated RAM, but it will clock it down to 1600mhz. I think you can manually force it to run higher, but i'll leave that one to iammykyl. You should also figure out what order to put it in, as this affects the performance of the RAM.

Edited by Jakob1406, 10 June 2012 - 06:57 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Info.
Your Cooler.

I am not confident that it will sufficiently cool the i7 3930K as this CPU runs much hotter than the previous generation. May have to look for a replacement one.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Part list for your build, all from one retailer.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Tem

May change the GPU to a Quadro 2000, depending on some feedback I am awaiting.

Looking at the configuration for your HDDs.

walterwalrus

walterwalrus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Heya!
Thanks again for your time and effort.

didnt Realize the GPU was going to be so expensive...oh well. it seems there isnt much of a price difference between the GEFORce and Quadro 2000, so I might as well get the better one,
which is that?

The parts you listed are a different motherboard and case than what I have researched(see above) do you recommend these more?
thanks again!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The boards are almost identical, I think the Sabertooth will be a little better for your work + More robust for longer run times, better heat management, 5 year warranty, 1 X PCI slot, the PCI-E 3.0 slots are more widely spaced giving better airflow for larger video cards.

IEEE 1394a (Fi-rewire) > Almost all modern digitalcamcordershave included this connection since 1995. Many computers intended for home or professional audio/video use have built-in FireWire ports including all Apple, Sony laptop computers and most Dell and HP models currently produced. It is also widely available on retail motherboards for do-it-yourself PCs, alongside USB. FireWire was used with initial models of Apple's iPod, but later models eliminated FireWire support in favor of USB due to space constraints and for wider compatibility. Source, > http://encyclopedia.....com/IEEE+1394a
Compare, > http://www.newegg.co...5E13-131-801-TS

Edit formatting.

Edited by iammykyl, 11 June 2012 - 07:37 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

didnt Realize the GPU was going to be so expensive...oh well. it seems there isnt much of a price difference between the GEFORce and Quadro 2000, so I might as well get the better one,

which is that?

The cards are expensive. still waiting for some feedback so I can give you more information. May be able to drop the 670 to a 570 and not loose to much for video performance, but may sacrifice too much for photo. The Quadro is in fact a less "powerful" card but is optimized extensively by the drivers for photography and comes with service support, and that is where the cost is.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I prefer the Antec case. better quality build, same full ATX, better cooling system. no need to add more fans and they are more controllable, washable filters are very, very easy to manage, dedicated completely separate compartment for the PSU, more HDD bays.
It also takes the special Antec CF 850 or 1000 wat PSUs.